Iowa football releases Week 1 depth chart

The new football season feels even closer now that Iowa has released its depth chart.

Nick Rohlman

Iowa quarterback Nate Stanley drops back to pass during Iowa’s game against Illinois at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, IL, on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Fighting Illini 63-0.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

With the season around a week away, Hawkeye football released its first depth chart on Aug. 23, following fall camp.

On the offensive side of the ball, there are no real surprises regarding the starters. Nate Stanley will begin the season under center, with an offensive line of Alaric Jackson, Landan Paulsen, Tyler Linderbaum, and Tristan Wirfs. Levi Paulsen and Cole Banwart are still battling for the No. 1 spot at right guard.

Ihmir Smith-Marsette and Brandon Smith are listed as the No. 1 wide receivers, with Tyrone Tracy and Nico Ragaini rounding out the top four as Iowa awaits the NCAA’s decision on Oliver Martin’s waiver.

Nate Wieting is still the starter at tight end, but Drew Cook is at No. 2. Shaun Beyer is not listed.

Mekhi Sargent will start at running back, Toren Young backs him up, and Ivory Kelly-Martin comes is No. 3. Brady Ross starts at fullback.

There are still battles going on between Peyton Mansell and Spencer Petras for backup quarterback and for Caleb Shudak and Keith Duncan at kicker. Also on special teams, Michael Sleep-Dalton has secured the starting punter position over Colten Rastetter.

Smith-Marsette will also serve as the No. 1 punt and kick returner, and Kelly-Martin will join him on kick returns.

On defense, A.J. Epenesa will lead the first-team defensive line with Brady Reiff, Cedrick Lattimore, and Chauncey Golston. The second team includes Amani Jones, Noah Shannon, Daviyon Nixon, and John Waggoner. Zach VanValkenburg and Austin Schulte are listed as third-teamers at right end and right defensive tackle, respectively.

Kristian Welch will take the starting role at middle linebacker, while Djimon Colbert starts as the weak-side backer. Barrington Wade is listed as the No. 1 at the leo/cash position, with D.J. Johnson behind him.

The secondary includes Michael Ojemudia and Matt Hankins at cornerback with Geno Stone and Kaevon Merriweather at safety — Merriweather held off sophomore Jack Koerner. Julius Brents is not listed on the depth chart.

The Hawkeyes will host Miami (Ohio) on Aug. 31 at 6:30 p.m. to kick off the season.