Epenesa named AP preseason first-team All-American

The preseason hype continues to build for A.J. Epenesa as the Associated Press recognized the Hawkeye defensive end.

Iowa+fans+greet+Iowa+defensive+end+A.J.+Epenesa+after+the+Iowa%2FIllinois+football+game+at+Memorial+Stadium+in+Champaign+on+Saturday%2C+November+17%2C+2018.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Fighting+Illini%2C+63-0%2C+to+snap+a+3-game+losing+streak.+

Lily Smith

Iowa fans greet Iowa defensive end A.J. Epenesa after the Iowa/Illinois football game at Memorial Stadium in Champaign on Saturday, November 17, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Fighting Illini, 63-0, to snap a 3-game losing streak.

Robert Read, Sports Reporter

Iowa junior defensive end A.J. Epenesa has been named a preseason first-team All-American by the Associated Press.

Epenesa is coming off of a dominant sophomore season for the Hawkeyes in which he led the Big Ten and ranked 12th nationally in sacks with 10.5.

The Glen Carbon, Illinois, native also compiled 37 tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss, 4 forced fumbles, 4 pass breakups, and a blocked punt during his 2018-19 season.

The Associated Press is the fourth organization to name the standout Hawkeye a preseason first-team All-American.

Now a starter, Epenesa will get the chance to show what he can do with more snaps when Iowa hosts Miami (Ohio) on Aug. 31 at 6:30 p.m.