Subbert named to Mannelly Award Watch List

Jackson Subbert has earned recognition as one of the top long snappers in college football.

Kinnick+Stadium+is+seen+fom+the+north+end+zone+at+Iowa+Football+Media+Day+on+Friday%2C+August+9%2C+2019.+

Kinnick Stadium is seen fom the north end zone at Iowa Football Media Day on Friday, August 9, 2019.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Hawkeye long snapper Jackson Subbert has earned a spot on the inaugural Patrick Mannelly Award Watch List, consisting of the top long snappers in college football.

Subbert handled snaps for punts, field goals, and PATs as Iowa’s starting long snapper last season. He also completed a direct snap to tight end T.J. Hockenson that went for a 4-yard touchdown on a fake field goal in a win over Minnesota on Oct. 6.

Iowa has had success in the long snapping game in the past. Former Hawkeye and current Denver Broncos long snapper Casey Kreiter earned a Pro Bowl nod in 2019 after handling 146 snaps without an unplayable delivery. Kreiter was also an All-Big Ten honorable mention in his senior season at Iowa in 2013.

The list — which includes 25 players who are all seniors — will be narrowed down to a group of semifinalists on Nov. 16 before finalists get announced on Nov. 23. The winner will be announced Dec. 14.