Tom Steyer speaks at the Des Moines Register Political Soapbox during the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines, IA on Sunday, August 11, 2019. (Shivansh Ahuja/The Daily Iowan)

Businessman and Democrat donor Tom Steyer

Businessman and Democratic philanthropist Tom Steyer called for corporations to release their “stranglehold” on America in his Sunday speech at the Des Moines Register Political Soapbox.

“Corporations have bought the Democracy,” Steyer said to a smattering of applause.

He started off talking about his family’s background. His father ended up prosecuting Nazis after World War 2 and has an aunt that lives in Iowa City.

Steyer promised he could pass a $15 minimum wage, guarantee health care, and lower pharmaceutical prices if they could crack down on corporations donating to Congressional members and writing laws.

“That should be a floor in the 21 at century,” Steyer said of his support for universal health care and a higher minimum wage. “That should be a guarantee.”

He said he would put people convicted of fraud employed by corporations in jail, saying fines were not enough to curb unlawful behavior.

Steyer also said, if elected, he would call a state of emergency because of climate change on his first day in office. He added that he could make millions of jobs by investing in renewable energy, referencing Iowa’s investment in wind energy and biofuels.

Steyer announced his campaign July 9, and since has become one of the most prolific spenders in the Democratic primary so far according to Five Thirty-Eight. He bought $1.4 million worth of tv ads total across early primary/caucus states, including Iowa.

The philanthropist and former hedge fund owner began two organizations dedicated to politics. He began the Need to Impeach organization, which advocates for Congress to start impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump.

Steyer stayed away from talking about Trump during his speech, which he said was in response to an audience member, a Trump supporter who, Steyer told the audience, had asked him before he gave his speech to just talk about his own vision, not just bash the president.

Steyer referenced his foundation of Nextgen, a liberal-leaning organization that encourages young people and college students to vote. Steyer said his organization doubled young voter turnout.

In an availability with reporters, Steyer said he would keep his presidential-nomination campaign separate from both organizations he founded.

On agriculture, he said he owns a cow-calf operation and called America’s turbulent trade relationship with China the “worst thing that’s happened to farmers in the last 10 years.”

In response to an audience question, he also called for term limits in Congress.

The Daily Iowan • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in