Ahron Ulis commits to Iowa basketball

Iowa snagged its first commitment from the Class of 2020 on Tuesday.

Ahron Ulis commits to Iowa basketball

Iowa spirit squads pump up the crowd before a men's basketball match between Iowa and Rutgers at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, March 2, 2019. The Hawkeyes, celebrating senior night, fell to the Scarlet Knights, 86-72.

Shivansh Ahuja

Shivansh Ahuja

Shivansh Ahuja

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Three-star point guard Ahron Ulis became Iowa basketball’s first commitment for the 2020 class when he announced Aug. 6 his intent to play for Fran McCaffery and the Hawkeyes.

Ulis, the brother of former Kentucky standout and Phoenix Sun draft pick Tyler Ulis, picked the Hawkeyes over DePaul, New Mexico, Siena, Toledo, and Milwaukee, among others.

The addition of Ulis โ€” who plays high-school ball at Marian Catholic in Chicago Heights, Illinois โ€” will help Iowa’s guard depth. If Jordan Bohannon redshirts this season, the Hawkeyes will boast a backcourt consisting of Bohannon, Connor McCaffery, C.J. Fredrick, Joe Toussaint, and Ulis.

A 6-2 guard, Ulis averaged 18.3 points per game last season to go along with 4.4 assists, 3.0 rebounds, and 1.7 steals, according to MaxPreps.