Iowa defensive backs look to keep up with recent history

Iowa has taken three of the last four Tatum-Woodson Awards, presented to the best defensive backs in the Big Ten. Who’s next?

Iowa+cornerback+Michael+Ojemudia+tackles+Michigan+State+wide+receiver+Felton+Davis+during+the+game+between+Iowa+and+Michigan+State+at+Spartan+Stadium+on+Saturday+Sept.+30%2C+2017.+The+Spartans+defeated+the+Hawkeyes+17-10.+

Nick Rohlman

Iowa cornerback Michael Ojemudia tackles Michigan State wide receiver Felton Davis during the game between Iowa and Michigan State at Spartan Stadium on Saturday Sept. 30, 2017. The Spartans defeated the Hawkeyes 17-10.

Pete Mills, Sports Reporter

Iowa has been dubbed “Tight End U” by its football fans this year after sending a duo of tight ends — Noah Fant and T.J. Hockenson — to the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft.

While warranted, there’s another nickname fans should consider: “Defensive Back U.”

Over the last four years, stars have emerged from the Iowa secondary in the biggest of ways. Three of the last four recipients of the Big Ten Tatum-Woodson Defensive Back of the Year Award have hailed from Iowa, and all of the winners have made waves on the national level.

And it’s even crazier than that: Half of the award’s recipients in its history (it’s been around since 2011) have been Hawkeyes. Not that it’s a competition, but only one of the last eight recipients of the conference’s Kwalick-Clark Tight End of the Year Award have come from Iowa.

Desmond King took home the award in 2015, the first time an Iowa player won the award since 2012, the same season in which he grabbed a Big Ten-leading 8 interceptions. He also received recognition on the national level, bringing home the Jim Thorpe Award, the first time for a Hawkeye. He remained strong in 2016, adding a second-straight first-team All-Big Ten spot to his résumé.

After his departure, Josh Jackson followed suit despite limited starting experience. He exploded in the 2017 season, leading the conference with 8 interceptions, which was impressive given the next closest player checked in at 5. Jackson’s season was capped off with a Tatum-Woodson.

RELATED: Hawkeyes relish deep depth chart

Amani Hooker did the same thing, capping off a strong career at Iowa with a 4-interception showing in 2019, enough to win the Tatum-Woodson Award last season.

Iowa defensive coordinator Phil Parker, who runs things in the secondary for head coach Kirk Ferentz, has built a strong base in the last several years. But who will emerge this season as his go-to guy?

A couple prospects stick out: senior Michael Ojemudia and junior Geno Stone.

Stone — now in his third season at Iowa — snared 4 interceptions last season, tied for first on the team with Hooker and Jake Gervase. The New Castle, Pennsylvania, native scored his first touchdown last season as well. Stone stole a pass from Penn State Trace McSorley on Oct. 27, 2018, and ran it back elusively for a touchdown.

The play was reminiscent of Jackson, who proved to be proficient at scoring touchdowns during his time at Iowa. Stone’s talent wasn’t realized until midway through last season, so more snaps could give him even more opportunities to make noise on the defensive side.

Ojemudia brings very different skills to the field. The senior from Farmington Hills, Michigan, took 3 interceptions in 2019 and added 23 solo tackles to his career total.

His intangibles also have his coaches excited. A mechanical-engineering major, Ferentz and the coaching staff have repeatedly praised his focus and quiet leadership.

Although it isn’t clear who the overall leader will be for Parker this season, it’s easy to look forward to all the experience and proven success Ojemudia and Stone bring to the table. Another Tatum-Woodson might be too much to ask, but it might not be too much for “Defensive Back U.”