Wirfs, Jackson, Epenesa land on watch lists

Alaric Jackson and Tristan Wirfs were named to the Outland Trophy Watch List, and A.J. Epenesa landed on the Bronko Nagurski Trophy Watch List.

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Smith

Iowa’s A.J. Epenesa tackles Michigan State quarter back Brian Lewerke during the game between Iowa and Michigan State at Spartan Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017. The Hawkeyes fell to the Spartans with a final score of 10-17. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa offensive linemen Tristan Wirfs and Alaric Jackson have been named to the Outland Trophy Watch List, and defensive end A.J. Epenesa has a place on the Bronko Nagurski Trophy Watch List.

The Outland Trophy is presented to the top offensive or defensive interior lineman in the nation, and the Nagurski Trophy is given to the best defensive player in college football.

All three players have earned previous recognition this summer.

Jackson earned preseason first-team All-Big Ten honors and was named a second-team preseason All-American by Athlon Sports and a first-team All-American by College Football News.

Wirfs was named a fourth-team preseason All-American by Athlon Sports and a second-team All-American by College Football News. He also picked up second-team preseason All-Big Ten honors. Both helped the Hawkeyes to an average of 31.2 points per game last season.

Iowa boasts four previous winners of the Outland Trophy: Cal Jones (1955), Alex Karras (1957), Robert Gallery (2003), and Brandon Scherff (2014).

Epenesa’s honor comes after leading the Big Ten with 10.5 sacks last season and finishing second with 4 forced fumbles.

Epenesa was named to the Big Ten’s Preseason Honors List last week and has also earned recognition as a first-team All-American from Athlon Sports and College Football News.

Pat Angerer (2009) and Josey Jewell (2017) have previously been finalists for the award.