2019 Big Ten media days live blog: Day 2

The second half of Big Ten Media Days is here, with seven new teams talking about the season.

Katina Zentz

The press prepares for the Big Ten Football Media Day in Chicago, Ill., on Thursday, July 18, 2019.

Pete Ruden and Pete Mills

CHICAGO — One day down, one day to go.

Coaches and players from Iowa, Michigan, Northwestern, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, and Wisconsin will take the podium July 19 to speak about their upcoming seasons.

Whatever happens on stage at the Hilton Chicago, The Daily Iowan will have it covered.

9:37 a.m.: Harbaugh seems surprised at the transfer of wide receiver Oliver Martin to Iowa, but he believes Martin should have the ability to play immediate. “We’re surprised that Oliver transferred … He was at the top of our depth chart coming out of spring ball … [but] my opinion is that every student-athlete should have a one-time ability to transfer and not have to sit out a year.”

9:31 a.m.: Harbaugh might be collecting reptiles. He has compared players and his team to both vipers and anacondas, only a few minutes into his time on the podium.

9:30 a.m.: Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh responds to a reporter asking about lack of Big Ten involvement in the College Football Playoffs: “I don’t have the answers to that. Maybe it’s something you [could] research.”

9:21 a.m.: As a coach in the Big Ten East, Ash shows no remorse about the current makeup of the divisions. “I don’t think you’re going to be able to realign the conference to make everybody happy … I don’t think it’s possible. It’s a very competitive league on both sides. I like where it is right now, and I don’t see it changing anytime soon.”

9:18 a.m.: Rutgers went 1-11 last season. As Rutgers’ Chris Ash takes the podium, he shows a self-aware approach to 2019. “I own it.”

9:13 a.m.: Chryst on the quarterback situation in Madison: “We’re going to have one. We’re going to have four.”

9:07 a.m.: Wisconsin head coach Paul Chryst sounds as excited as Paul Chryst can sound about the junior season of Jonathan Taylor. “The leadership part of it is growing and developing as well.”

8:58 a.m.: Fitzgerald speaks on Northwestern falling in the bottom of the Big Ten in many analysts’ projections. “It’s always fun to read about this time a year how we stink.”

8: 55 a.m.: Fitzgerald notes the importance of strength and conditioning, along with his relationship with Wildcat strength coach Alex Spanos. “I probably talk to him more than I talk to my wife.”

8:46 a.m.: Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald is excited about Year 2 of the $240 million football facility built in Evanston in 2018. He says that if Year 1 brought a Big Ten West title, Year 2 can be even better.

8:38 a.m.: Franklin speaks about the Big Ten having been left out of the College Football Playoffs the past two seasons. “I’ve been a head coach in the SEC, I’ve been a head coach in the Big Ten … We compete at a high level, but when you’re left out of the Playoffs two years in a row, there need to be discussions.” He seems to hint there needs to be realignment in conference divisions.

8:36 a.m.: Penn State quarterback Trace McSorely graduated last season, leaving a gap in the depth chart.”Obviously, there’s some question marks going into the season, but fortunately, we’ve recruited extremely well.”

8:34 a.m.: Penn State head coach James Franklin is excited about the athleticism of his team this year. “Probably the fastest team I’‘ve been a part of in my nine seasons as a head football coach.”

8:28 a.m.: Brohm has long been clear about his intention of scheduling higher-profile opponents. “We’ve always had 11 Power-5 games … We like to schedule the best opponents we can … I think our fans want to see great competition come in the stadium.”

8:22 a.m.: Receiver Rondale Moore broke out in 2018 for the Boilermakers as a freshman. Brohm believes that was only the beginning. “He’s put on a little bit of weight, he’s a bit stronger … I think he’ll have another tremendous year.”

8:17 a.m.: Purdue head coach Jeff Brohm takes the podium and reminds the media of Purdue’s 14 returning starters from a year ago. The Boilermakers finished in the No. 2 spot in the Big Ten West Division.

8:14 a.m.: Ferentz quickly differentiates himself from other college coaches in his use of the transfer portal: “We aren’t counting on that to build our team.”

8:08 a.m.: Although Iowa lost its top targets at tight end, he believes there are still great options in this year’s roster, noting Nate Wieting as a potential breakout player. “Even if those guys play well, we won’t be as deep as we were a year ago … that’s just football.”

8:05 a.m.: Ferentz believes Iowa has a shot at the Big Ten championship, but he notes a need to finish close games down the stretch. A year ago, Ferentz said, many of Iowa’s losses came in games separated by only one possession.

8 a.m.: Ferentz begins by noting how much the Big Ten and college football have changed since his tenure began, using evolving variations of exercise equipment as analogy. But he notes his continuing desire to field championship-level football teams and create good citizens in his players.

7:51 a.m.: We are fewer than 10 minutes away from the first coach of the day, Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz.