Sargent, Epenesa earn preseason honors

Mekhi Sargent and A.J. Epenesa added to Iowa’s previous preseason honors on Thursday.

Iowa+running+back+Mekhi+Sargent+sheds+Nebraska+safety+Antonio+Reeds+tackle+during+the+Iowa%2FNebraska+football+game+at+Kinnick+Stadium+on+Friday%2C+Nov.+23%2C+2018.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Huskers%2C+31-28%2C+with+a+last-second+field+goal.+

Lily Smith

Iowa running back Mekhi Sargent sheds Nebraska safety Antonio Reed’s tackle during the Iowa/Nebraska football game at Kinnick Stadium on Friday, Nov. 23, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Huskers, 31-28, with a last-second field goal.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa racked up a few more preseason honors on July 18.

Mekhi Sargent earned a spot on the Doak Walker Award Watch List, and A.J. Epenesa was named a Big Ten Preseason honoree.

Sargent landed on the Doak Walker Watch — an award given to the top running back in college football — after a season in which he led Iowa with 745 rushing yards and 9 touchdowns on the ground. He also scored more than touchdown in four games.

Hawkeyes have enjoyed previous success with the award; Shonn Greene won the honor in 2008, and Albert Young was a semifinalist in 2005.

Ten semifinalists will be announced in November, and three finalists will be named on Nov. 20.

Epenesa was one of 10 players in the conference selected for the Big Ten Preseason Honors List, with five coming from each division.

The West team includes Epenesa, Nebraska’s Adrian Martinez, Northwestern’s Paddy Fisher, Purdue’s Rondale Moore, and Wisconsin’s Jonathan Taylor. The East division is represented by Michigan State’s Joe Bachie and Kenny Willekes, Ohio State’s J.K. Dobbins and Chase Young, and Penn State’s Yetur Gross-Matos.