Minnesota head coach Fleck praises Iowa strength coach Doyle

P.J. Fleck credited Chris Doyle for his strength coach hire, saying it has made him successful as a coach.

Katina Zentz

Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck speaks during the Big Ten Football Media Day in Chicago, Ill., on Thursday, July 18, 2019.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

CHICAGO – Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck’s success can be credited to the Iowa football program in one way or another.

Fleck, who has been at the helm of the Gopher program since 2017, called Iowa strength coach Chris Doyle the best in the country and said he hired his strength coach — his most important hiring — on Doyle’s recommendation.

“There’s one guy single-handedly responsible for the success I’ve had as a head coach … Dan Nichol, my strength coach,” Fleck said. “He’s had numerous opportunities to leave. He’s been with me since Day 1. He was my first hiring. I remember calling Coach Doyle at the University of Iowa because I think he’s the best in the country, and I’m not afraid to say that. He told me the only guy he has — you better hire him; when he tells you to do something, you do something — was at the University of Maine, Dan Nichol. Young guy, but the guy who’s up-and-coming. We got him, and he changed our program forever.”

Nichol interned with Doyle in 2002 before beginning his career as a strength coach. He has coached with Fleck since their days at Western Michigan, 2013-16. Western Michigan finished 2013 with a 1-11 record before improving to 13-1 by 2016. In 2017, Nichol followed Fleck to Minnesota and has continued to have a major effect, Fleck said.