Iowa football’s Stanley, Epenesa land on award watch lists

Nate Stanley found a spot on the Maxwell Award Watch List on Monday, while A.J. Epenesa earned a slot on the Bednarik Award Watch List.

Iowa quarterback Nate Stanley calls an audible during Iowa's game against Minnesota at TCF Bank Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 6, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Golden Gophers 48-31.

Nick Rohlman

Nick Rohlman

Nick Rohlman

Robert Read, Sports Reporter

Two of the Iowa football program’s biggest names have been put on award watch for the 2019-20 season.

On July 15, quarterback Nate Stanley and defensive end A.J. Epenesa were named to the Maxwell and Bednarik Award Watch Lists.

This is Stanley’s second-straight year landing on the watch list for the Maxwell Award, presented annually by the Maxwell Football Club to America’s College Player of the Year. Stanley is one of 11 Big Ten players and four Big Ten quarterbacks named to the 80-player list.

Two Hawkeyes have won the Maxwell Award before, with Nile Kinnick bringing the honor home in 1939, and Chuck Long winning it most recently in 1985.

Former quarterback Ricky Stanzi is the program’s most recent semifinalist, reaching the level in 2010.

Epenesa has been named to the Bednarik Award Watch List after a first-team All-Big Ten outing last season.

The award is given annually to the nation’s top college defender. Iowa has had four semifinalists for the award since 2005, with former defensive back Desmond King being the most recent in 2016.

Semifinalists for both awards will be announced Oct. 29. The winners will be announced Dec. 12 as part of the Home Depot College Football Awards Show.

Facebook Comments