Evelyn officially signs with Iowa basketball

Valparaiso transfer Bakari Evelyn has officially signed with Iowa after committing last month.

Katina Zentz

Iowa and West Carolina players warm-up before the men’s basketball game against Western Carolina at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Tuesday, December 18, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Catamounts 78-60.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Valparaiso transfer Bakari Evelyn committed to Fran McCaffery and the Hawkeyes in June, and he has officially signed, McCaffery announced July 11.

Evelyn averaged 8.4 points on 33.6 percent shooting along with 2.4 rebounds and 2.1 assists last season, but he didn’t live up to his potential after recovering from surgery. In 2017-18, Evelyn dropped 12.6 points per game with 3.1 rebounds and 2.9 assists. He was also much more efficient that season, hitting shots at a 44.9 percent clip, including a 38.3 percent mark from beyond the arc.

Evelyn, who is Iowa’s first incoming graduate transfer under McCaffery, has one season of eligibility remaining.

The addition of Evelyn helps ease the pain of losing Isaiah Moss and Maishe Dailey in the backcourt, and he could play an even bigger role if Jordan Bohannon misses the 2019-20 season.

“We are thrilled to have Bakari join our program,” McCaffery said in a release. “He’s a veteran who can play multiple positions. He can score and defend. Bakari will bring a presence to our program that we are excited about.”

When Evelyn was at his best as a sophomore in 2017-18, he earned Missouri Valley Conference All-Newcomer Team honors after transferring from Nebraska. Evelyn scored in double figures 22 times that season and scored at least 20 points four times.

His career-high came in a 30-point, 8-rebound performance against North Carolina-Wilmington on Nov. 25, 2017.

Evelyn saw limited time on the floor as a Husker in 2015-16, scoring 24 points and grabbing 9 rebounds in 18 games.

Now, he’ll have plenty of opportunities to contribute with the injuries and transfers the Hawkeyes have endured.

“I’m excited to finally be able to join the team, and get to work with the guys to learn, and prepare for the upcoming season,” Evelyn said in a release. “I chose Iowa because of the relationship I developed with Coach McCaffery and [assistant coach Sherman] Dillard and for the opportunity to wear the Black and Gold. It feels great to be part of the Hawkeye family.”