Gustafson scores first points of professional career

Iowa+center+Megan+Gustafson+prepares+to+shoot+the+ball+past+Maryland+forward+Shakira+Austin+during+the+womens+Big+Ten+Championship+basketball+game+vs.+Maryland+at+Bankers+Life+Fieldhouse+on+Sunday%2C+March+10%2C+2019.+

Katina Zentz

Iowa center Megan Gustafson prepares to shoot the ball past Maryland forward Shakira Austin during the women’s Big Ten Championship basketball game vs. Maryland at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Sunday, March 10, 2019.

Pete Mills, Sports Reporter

Former Iowa women’s basketball star Megan Gustafson checked into her first minutes of a WNBA game on June 20, taking the floor for the Dallas Wings as they took on the Phoenix Mercury.

With just over nine minutes left in the second quarter, Gustafson tossed in the first points of her professional career.

Gustafson was drafted in the second round by the Wings in April before being released by the team. On June 13, the Naismith Player of the Year recipient was given a second chance and offered a contract with Dallas.

Gustafson entered the WNBA after a successful senior season at the college level. She led the country in points per game (27.8) and field-goal percentage (69.6). On April 24, Athletics Director Gary Barta announced that Gustafson’s jersey — No. 10 — will become the second number to be retired by the women’s basketball program.