Gustafson receives second chance with Dallas Wings

Megan Gustafson is back in the WNBA.

Iowa+center+Megan+Gustafson+prepares+to+shoot+the+ball+past+Maryland+forward+Shakira+Austin+during+the+women%27s+Big+Ten+Championship+basketball+game+vs.+Maryland+at+Bankers+Life+Fieldhouse+on+Sunday%2C+March+10%2C+2019.+

Iowa center Megan Gustafson prepares to shoot the ball past Maryland forward Shakira Austin during the women's Big Ten Championship basketball game vs. Maryland at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Sunday, March 10, 2019.

Katina Zentz

Katina Zentz

Katina Zentz

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Former Hawkeye star Megan Gustafson will get a second chance with the Dallas Wings.

The Wings announced on June 13 they had re-signed Gustafson after a slew of losses ravaged the roster.

“I’m extremely grateful for the opportunity to further pursue my dream of playing in the WNBA,” Gustafson said in a release. “I have learned that nothing in this life is guaranteed, but I will take full advantage of this second opportunity with the Dallas Wings whether it is for one day, one week, or 10 years.”

Gustafson, last season’s Naismith College Player of the Year, was waived by Dallas on May 22.

The former Hawkeye averaged 2.6 points and 3.0 rebounds per game in three preseason contests.

Wings guard Tayler Hill will undergo knee surgery soon, putting her out indefinitely. Rookie Arike Ogunbowale could also miss time with an ankle injury.

After the Wings’ game on June 8, Glory Johnson is headed to Eurobasket to compete for Montenegro.

“We are excited to bring Megan back to the Dallas Wings organization,” Dallas President and CEO Greg Bibb said in a release. “We are currently dealing with a series of roster challenges, and we are fortunate to have the opportunity to sign a player of Megan’s character and ability.”

Facebook Comments