Oliver Martin to transfer to Iowa

After leaving Michigan, former Iowa City West wide receiver Oliver Martin has found a new home with the Hawkeyes.

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

Iowa football helmets line the sidelines during a game against Purdue University on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017. The Boilermakers defeated the Hawkeyes 24 to 15.

Pete Mills, Assistant Sports Editor

Former Michigan wide receiver and Iowa City West standout Oliver Martin has committed to Iowa, according to a report from Hawkeye Nation’s Rob Howe.

The move has been widely anticipated for several days following Martin’s entrance of the transfer portal on June 5. Martin was wooed by Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh in 2017 in dramatic fashion, but Martin is leaving Ann Arbor after two years with the program.

After redshirting his first year on campus, Martin caught 11 passes for 125 yards and a touchdown in 2018.

His high school dominance led to interest from a variety of schools beyond Iowa and Michigan, including Notre Dame and Michigan State. The 6-1, 200-pound Martin hauled in 158 passes for 2,459 yards and 28 touchdowns in his final two seasons with the Trojans.

It is likely that he will have to sit out for the 2019 season, but Martin will be able to apply for a waiver to gain immediate eligibility. If he does find a way to take the field next season, it will be a good timing for the Hawkeyes; Iowa lost some of its most formidable and frequent targets in Noah Fant, T.J. Hockenson, and Nick Easley to the NFL in April.

Having an asset like Martin on the field can only help veteran quarterback Nate Stanley. His pairing with Brandon Smith and Ihmir Smith-Marsette now gives Stanley plenty of playmaking options.