Billy Taylor set to join Iowa basketball coaching staff

Fran McCaffery will be reunited with Billy Taylor next season, replacing Andrew Francis on the coaching staff.

Contributed; Belmont Abbey College

Robert Read, Sports Reporter

A hole was left for head coach Fran McCaffery to fill in the Iowa basketball coaching staff when Andrew Francis departed for California, and it has now been filled by a familiar face.

McCaffery named Billy Taylor to his staff as an assistant coach on Wednesday, reuniting the two after they had been on the same staff on three previous occasions. Taylor also played at Notre Dame from 1992-95, the same time McCaffrey served as an assistant coach for the Fighting Irish.

The two had most worked together from 2014-16, when Taylor was Iowa’s director of basketball operations.

“We are excited that Billy Taylor is rejoining the Hawkeye basketball family,” McCaffery said in a release. “Billy is the perfect fit for our team. He knows our program well, and has a wealth of coaching and recruiting experience. Billy is one of the most genuine and respected coaches in our profession. ”

Taylor has 18 seasons of experience coaching at the collegiate level, including head coaching stints at three schools. Most recently, Taylor was head coach at Division-2 Belmont Abbey for three seasons, posting a 23-8 campaign last season.

Now, he is ready to work with McCaffery once again.

“I am humbled and honored to rejoin Coach McCaffery’s staff at the University of Iowa,” Taylor said in a release. “My relationship with Coach McCaffery spans 30 years and continues to evolve with each step.”