Hawkeye basketball’s Bohannon to miss time with hip surgery

Iowa guard Jordan Bohannon will be out for an indefinite period of time while recovering from hip surgery.

Katina Zentz

Iowa guard Jordan Bohannon waits for the game to resume during the NCAA game against Cincinnati at Nationwide Arena on Friday, March 22, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Bearcats 79-72.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Hawkeye basketball guard Jordan Bohannon will be held out of basketball activities for an indefinite period of time while recovering from a hip surgery scheduled to take place Wednesday.

Iowa basketball’s second-leading returning will be reevaluated throughout the summer and fall as he goes through rehab.

Chad Leistikow of the Des Moines Register reported Tuesday that Bohannon’s 2019-20 season could be in jeopardy if he’s not ready by the start of the season.

“This is an unfortunate setback for Jordan, but he will work hard during his rehab and is expected to make a full recovery,” Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery said in a release. “He has the support of his teammates and coaches, and we look forward to having a healthy Jordan back when he is given clearance from our medical staff.”

Bohannon suffered the injury early last season but continued to play through the pain. After trying to avoid surgery, discussions with the Iowa medical staff, family, and coaches convinced the group that surgery would be the best route.

Bohannon, Iowa’s all-time leader in 3-point field goals, finished last season third on the team with 11.6 points per game, while leading Iowa with 3.4 assists.

He made his name known late in games last season with his clutch shots. The Marion, Iowa, native scored a total of 85 points in the final two minutes of regulation and overtime last season.

If Bohannon were to miss the 2019-20 season, three players of Iowa’s five-man starting lineup from last season would not be playing in the Black and Gold. Forward Tyler Cook declared for the NBA Draft and hired an agent, while guard Isaiah Moss announced his intention to transfer to Arkansas.

That would leave Luka Garza and Joe Wieskamp in the starting five.

Garza finished second on the team with 13.1 points per game last season and pulled down 4.5 rebounds, and Wieskamp averaged 11.1 points and 4.9 boards in his freshman campaign.