Iowa basketball misses out on three transfers

The Hawkeyes were in the running for D.J. Harvey, Sam Hauser, and Joey Hauser, but they won’t get any of the three.

Katina Zentz

Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery watches the game during the men’s basketball game against Western Carolina at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Tuesday, December 18, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Catamounts 78-60.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

In the last few weeks, the Hawkeye basketball program found itself in the running for some high-quality transfers. Marquette’s Sam and Joey Hauser were looking for new homes, as was Notre Dame’s D.J. Harvey.

With three players leaving the program, a move would’ve helped ease the pain. But it didn’t happen.

Harvey announced he will take his talents to Jerry Stackhouse’s Vanderbilt team, while the Hauser brothers have narrowed their options to Virginia, Michigan State, and Wisconsin, according to Stadium’s Jeff Goodman.

Harvey started 29 games for the Fighting Irish last season, averaging 10.7 points per game to go along with 4.2 rebounds and 0.7 assists.

After losing starting shooting guard Isaiah Moss to transfer, Harvey would’ve been a welcomed addition for the Hawkeyes.

Sam Hauser ranked second on the Golden Eagles in scoring, dropping 14.9 points per game, only trailing one of the best scorers in the country in Markus Howard. He also led Marquette with 7.2 rebounds a game.

Joey Hauser finished third in scoring with 9.7 points per game, along with 5.4 rebounds, and 2.4 assists.

The Hauser brothers could have helped Fran McCaffery’s after losing Tyler Cook to the NBA Draft, but the head Hawkeye will instead have to find someone else to fill the void.