Geno Stone

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

One of Iowa’s best defensive players of 2018 won’t be on the team this season. Amani Hooker was selected in the fourth round of the 2019 NFL Draft by the Tennessee Titans, leaving a void in the Hawkeye secondary.

Luckily for Iowa, and not so luckily for opposing quarterbacks, the position will be filled by Geno Stone.

Stone possesses impressive ball skills that can turn a game around, and he made his mark when Hooker shuffled around the field to play a safety-linebacker hybrid.

Stone finished the 2018 season tied for the team lead with 4 interceptions and scored his first touchdown with a Pick-6 against Penn State on a 24-yard return on Oct. 27.

He also made 39 stops, defended 3 passes, and forced a fumble. Now, imagine his production in a full season in defensive coordinator Phil Parker’s scheme.

Iowa will be perfectly fine at corner next season. Starters Michael Ojemudia and Matt Hankins both return, and Riley Moss and Julius Brents — who both impressed observers when thrust into action — will also come back as more experienced sophomores.

Safety is where the Hawkeye secondary should get iffier, but it doesn’t because of Stone. Hooker and fellow starter Jake Gervase might be gone, but they are being replaced by their prodigy.

Stone will become the quarterback of the defense.

Entering his junior season, Stone finally has the experience — and the chance — to make the secondary his. He won’t miss his opportunity.