David Young to run again for Iowa’s 3rd Congressional District seat

Iowa Congressman David Young speaks during Iowa Senator Joni Ernst’s second annual Roast and Ride event in Des Moines on Saturday, August 27, 2016. The event started with a 42-mile motorcycle ride from the Big Barn Harley-Davidson dealership to the Iowa State Fairgrounds where Ernst hosted a rally with fellow Republican leaders headlined by Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

Sarah Watson, Politics Reporter

Republican David Young will run again for Iowa’s 3rd Congressional District seat against Rep. Cindy Axne, D-Iowa, who ousted Young in 2018.

He announced his intention on Twitter May 3, on which he wrote that the run was “personal to me and so many other Iowans” and that Axne had “broken her promises to Iowa voters.”

Young won the 3rd District seat in 2014 and was re-elected in 2016.

Axne unseated Young by winning 48.7 percent of the vote to Young’s 46.5 percent in 2018. She flipped Iowa’s Republican seat, as did many other Democrats, and made their party the majority in the House of Representatives.

She was one of two first women elected to Congress’ lower chamber. Iowa’s 1st District Rep. Abby Finkenauer, a Democrat, was the other.

“Iowa voters rejected David Young because he broke his promise to lower heath-care costs and protect coverage for Iowans with pre-existing conditions,” Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee spokesperson Brooke Goren wrote in a statement. “Young can run for Congress, but he can’t run away from his Washington record of putting special interests ahead of the needs of hardworking Iowans.”