Final autopsy results show UI Health Care employee died of sharp-force injuries

Roman Slabach

Police investigators respond to a scene of a suspicious death on Friday, April 7, 2019, at 114 Green Mountain Drive in Iowa City, Iowa.

Kayli Reese, News Editor

Final autopsy results in the homicide investigation of JoEllen Browning’s death confirmed that the former University of Iowa Health Care employee died of sharp-force injuries, according to a press release May 3 from the Iowa City police.

Browning was found dead in her home at 114 Green Mountain Drive on the morning of April 5. No arrests have been made at this time.

RELATED: ‘Suspicious death’ of UI Health Care employee being investigated as a homicide

In the release, police said they are continuing to investigate Browning’s death with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation. Around 20 agents and investigators are involved in the case, the release said, and they have conducted approximately 100 interviews.

Lab results of evidence from Browning’s home are still pending, the release said.

“Investigators are discussing all aspects of this case, including the sharing of information with the public, and are making conscious decisions about how they are proceeding,” the release said. “This is all done to build the strongest case possible and not jeopardize their efforts. The priority and goal in this case is to find justice for the victim.”

RELATED: Sharp-force injuries determined to be cause of UI Health Care employee’s death, Iowa City police announce

The Johnson County Medical Examiner’s Office first announced Browning’s cause of death was the result of sharp-force injuries on April 10.

Authorities ask anyone with information about the case to contact the Iowa City police at 319-356-5276 or Iowa City Area Crimestoppers at 319-358-TIPS (8477).