Ihmir Smith-Marsette

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Picture a poised Nate Stanley in this coming autumn, stepping up in the pocket in the friendly confines of Kinnick Stadium, his every move being followed on a massive Jumbotron in the north end zone. Now, imagine him being sacked because he doesn’t have anyone to throw to.

That can’t happen if Iowa wants to have a successful campaign.

With T.J. Hockenson, Noah Fant, and Nick Easley — Iowa’s three leading pass-catchers last season — headed to the NFL, the Hawkeyes need someone to step up in a big way.

That leaves Ihmir Smith-Marsette with a perfect opportunity.

Smith-Marsette has long been known as a playmaker in Hawkeye Nation, dating back to his second-career college game in which he caught the game-winning touchdown against archrival Iowa State.

In his two seasons as a Hawkeye, Smith-Marsette has continued to show his game as a speedy receiver with game-changing ability.

He hauled in 18 passes for 187 yards and 2 scores in 2017 before raising those marks to 23 receptions for 361 yards and 3 touchdowns in 2018. Now with a need for pass-catchers, he figures to increase those numbers for the third season in a row.

He also ran the ball nine times for 71 yards last season — an average of 7.9 yards per carry — which shows that the Iowa offensive coordinator wants to get the ball in his playmaker’s hands.

If Brandon Smith continues to grow and makes his circus catches a staple in the Hawkeye offense, the duo could complement each other very well, although the big chunk plays might belong to Smith-Marsette.