Hockenson selected by Detroit Lions with pick No. 8

T.J. Hockenson will take his talents to Detroit.

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

Iowa tight end T.J. Hockenson celebrates after catching a touchdown pass during the Iowa/Ohio State football game in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes in a storming fashion, 55-24. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

T.J. Hockenson became the first Hawkeye to hear his name called in the 2019 NFL Draft, as the Detroit Lions selected the tight end with the No. 8 pick.

He is just the fourth tight end selected in the top 10 of the NFL Draft since 1997.

Hockenson serves as an all-purpose tight end, excelling as a blocker in the run game and performing equally as well in the air attack.

His arrival bolsters the Lions’ depth chart, as Detroit only had Jesse James, Michael Roberts, and Jermaine Cunningham at tight end. James caught 30 passes for 423 yards and 2 touchdowns with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2018.

Hockenson led the Hawkeyes last season with  760 yards receiving yards on 49 catches, scoring 6 touchdowns in the process. He also rushed for a score in Iowa’s 30-24 loss to Penn State on Oct. 27.

His performance led him to the John Mackey Award, which is given to the best tight end in college football, earning first-team All-Big Ten honors from the conference media. He also cemented his status as the Big Ten’s best tight end by taking home the Kwalick-Clark Big Ten Tight End of the Year honor.