Hawkeye golf set for Big Tens, Hawkeye Invitational

Iowa golf has an important weekend coming up with the women competing at the Big Ten Championships and the men hosting the Hawkeye Invitational.

Iowa+sophomore+Brett+Permann+tees+off+during+the+Diane+Thomason+Invitational+at+Finkbine+Golf+Course+on+Sept.+30%2C+2018.The+Hawkeyes+placed+first+overall.+++

Megan Nagorzansk

Iowa sophomore Brett Permann tees off during the Diane Thomason Invitational at Finkbine Golf Course on Sept. 30, 2018.The Hawkeyes placed first overall.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

It’s a big weekend for Iowa golf.

The women’s squad will travel to Mainville, Ohio, to compete in the Big Ten Championships, and the men will host the Hawkeye Invitational at Finkbine.

The women will send Manuela Lizarazu, Brett Permann, Kristin Glesne, Shawn Rennegarbe, Dana Lerner, and Stephanie Herzog to compete at TPC River’s Bend, a course designed by Arnold Palmer.

Iowa finished 12th last season, carding a three-round score of 900 (36-over), and Jessica Ip finished with a 5-over 221, which tied for 25th.

The Hawkeyes had a solid performance at the Bruzzy Challenge on April 1-2. Lizarazu ended with a career-best 54-hole score of 214 (2-under) for eighth place, and Permann posted a 3-over 219 en route to tying for 28th.

The Hawkeye men will host their lone home meet of the spring season on Saturday and April 21.

“The guys are really excited,” Iowa head coach Tyler Stith said in a release. “We had a great couple of weeks of qualifying and competition here at home. I know they are all eager to play in front of our home fans and family. We have a strong field of teams coming this week.”

Iowa will be joined by 12 teams: DePaul, Eastern Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kansas State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oral Roberts, South Dakota State, Missouri-Kansas City, and Wisconsin.

At Iowa’s last competition, the Colleton River Collegiate on March 4-5, the Hawkeyes finished in fourth with a 54-hole score of 869 (5-over). Alex Schaake led the Black and Gold, carding a 7-under 209 to place second. He finished all three rounds under par.