Gustafson named first team AP All-American

Iowa star Megan Gustafson picked up yet another accolade as AP released its All-American team.

Katina Zentz

Iowa center Megan Gustafson prepares to shoot the ball during the NCAA Sweet 16 game against NC State at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex on Saturday, March 30, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Wolfpack 79-61.

Jordan Zuniga, Sports Reporter

Greensboro, N.C. — Ahead of Iowa’s Elite Eight matchup against Baylor tonight at 6 p.m., Megan Gustafson earned yet another accolade.

The AP released its All-American team and without much surprise, Gustafson found herself among the four other women to receive first-team honors.

Gustafson joins the elite company of Connecticut’s Napheesa Collier, Oregon’s Sabrina Ionescu, Louisville’s Asia Durr, and Mississippi State’s Teaira McCowan.

Collier was the top vote-getter, garnering 27 of 28 first-team votes, while Gustafson finished right behind her with 26.

It is just another accolade Gustafson can add to the litany of them that she has already received this year.

Gustafson’s other honors and awards include ESPN National Player of the Year, first-team All-American (ESPN), Big Ten Player of the Year (coaches and media), and Big Ten Tournament MVP.

This won’t be the final award Gustafson receives this year, as there are plenty of outlets that have yet to release their Player of the Year and All-American teams.

Gustafson is also a finalist for the Lisa Leslie award, given to the best center each year, and the Naismith National Player of the Year award.