Lisa Bluder sees a familiar face in Iowa’s Round of 32 opponent

Missouri’s head coach has deep ties to Bluder, and the two will be facing off on Sunday with a trip to the Sweet 16 on the line.

Iowa+head+coach+Lisa+Bluder+reacts+to+a+call+during+the+womens+Big+Ten+tournament+basketball+game+vs.+Indiana+at+Bankers+Life+Fieldhouse+on+Friday%2C+March+8%2C+2019.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Hoosiers+70-61.+

Katina Zentz

Iowa head coach Lisa Bluder reacts to a call during the women’s Big Ten tournament basketball game vs. Indiana at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Friday, March 8, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Hoosiers 70-61.

Robert Read, Sports Reporter

Lisa Bluder had an eventful beginning to the 2019 NCAA Women’s tournament. The Iowa head coach earned her 750th career victory in the first round against Mercer, and while that is quite an achievement, it may only be the appetizer for the weekend.

While Bluder and her Iowa team celebrated victory on Friday, the Missouri Tigers downed Drake in overtime by a score of 77-76. Missouri now moves on to face Iowa in the next round, and while both coaches will be trying to advance to the next round, that is not all they have in common.

Missouri head coach Robin Pingeton has a long history with Bluder, in fact Pingeton played for her and was an assistant on Bluder’s staff for two seasons

Bluder coached what was then Robin Becker at St. Ambrose, where Becker set the schools all-time scoring record, a mark which still stands. When Bluder was hired as head coach at Drake, Pingeton followed her and served as an assistant on her staff for two seasons.

Having been around her when she was the one out on the court, Bluder sees many similarities in Pingeton the player and Pingeton the coach.

“I think she coaches the same way she played,” Bluder said. “She was tenacious. I mean, she was an undersized 4 that was just really, really good in the post area. I see that playing style in her team. I’m really impressed with their defense. I think she’s done a really, really good job defensively with this team.”

While the master versus apprentice matchup may be great for the headlines, Bluder is looking at it a little differently.

“I don’t love coaching against my former players,” Bluder said. “We cheer for each other all season long. It’s just that one time when you play against each other, it makes it awkward.”

Bluder may have the edge in experience in the coaching matchup, but Pingeton is no rookie.

Pingeton is in her 24th season as a head coach at the collegiate level. She began her head coaching career at her alma mater, St. Ambrose, where she stayed for eight seasons. Pingeton then spent seven seasons at Illinois State, and has found a home the past nine seasons at Missouri.

Pingeton owns a career record of 506-275 as a head coach, and will look to improve that record Sunday against Bluder’s Hawkeyes. The two coaches will be facing off in the round of 32, and Pingeton acknowledges that she may not be in the position she’s in without the help of Bluder.

“Lisa has been incredible for me,” Pingeton said. “I had a great opportunity playing for her in college. We had a lot of success at St. Ambrose.”

Beyond the typical player-coach relationship, Bluder was a key figure for Pingeton during a very difficult time in her life.

“My mom had a stroke so leaving the area wasn’t right at the time, and Lisa gave me an opportunity to be with her as a Division I assistant right out of college. She’s been a huge part of my life, both on and off the court, and I’m forever grateful for the impact she had on my life.”

With such a long history and a lasting friendship, Pingeton has, unsurprisingly, similar sentiments to Bluder on what it will be like going up against her friend and colleague.

“I understand the dynamic of coaching against someone like Lisa Bluder, with the relationship and the friendship we have, it’s just different,” Pingeton said. “Probably neither of us really like it, but at the same time I think as a coach you get so lost in your preparation and your scouting, that you’re not even really thinking about those sorts of things.”

The two coaches are used to rooting for each other, but for around two hours on Sunday afternoon they will be standing in the others way for a trip to the Sweet 16.