What happened, what’s next: NCAA Wrestling Championships Session 3

Two Hawkeyes are onto the semifinals, six are in the wrestlebacks and one is on the sidelines following session three.

Iowa’s 165-pound Alex Marinelli wrestles Virginia Tech’s Mekhi Lewis during the third session of the 2019 NCAA D1 Wrestling Championships at PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh, PA on Friday, March 22, 2019. Lewis won by decision, 3-1.

Anna Kayser, Assistant Sports Editor

PITTSBURGH – The slate separated in the quarterfinals, and only two Hawkeyes remain with a chance at a National Title.

Before the semifinals start at 8 p.m. ET, take a look back at what happened in session three and who the Hawkeyes have coming up next.

Quarterfinals

125 – Spencer Lee defeats Sean Russell (Minnesota), PIN 5:59

Lee had a lot of control in his match. He jumped out to a 6-0 lead on a takedown and a near fall and kept taking shots to rack up the point total. In the third Lee got Russell on his back and forced him down for his first pin of the tournament.

Next, Lee will face off with Nick Piccininni of Oklahoma State. Piccininni is the No. 2-seed in the 125 bracket and pinned Lee in 4:55 during their 2019 dual. In the 2018 NCAAs, Lee pinned Piccininni in 3:58.

133 –Stevan Micic (Michigan) defeats Austin DeSanto, 3-2

DeSanto went down 3-0 going into the third quarter and battled his way back late with a takedown in the final 30 seconds, but wasn’t able to get a shot in early with more time.

Next, DeSanto will face Iowa State’s Austin Gomez. Gomez beat DeSanto in the 2018 dual, 14-9.

141 – Nick Lee (Penn State) defeats Max Murin, 4-1

Like Murin’s second round match, this one was tight. Murin tied it up, 1-1, with an escape in the third, but a takedown and riding time gave Penn State the win. Murin battled through the match but couldn’t get on top.

In the consolation bracket, Murin will face Chad Red from Nebraska, who he hasn’t faced this season.

149 – Micah Jordan (Ohio State) defeats Pat Lugo, 10-3

Lugo went down early by a takedown and could never rack up enough points to keep pace with Jordan.

Lugo will wrestle Thomas Thorn from Minnesota for a chance at All-American honors. Lugo beat Thorn twice this season, once at Big Tens.

157 – Kaleb Young defeats Ryan Deakin (Northwestern) in SV1, 7-5

Young was down, 5-4, thanks to a second period takedown, but was able to register an escape in the third to tie it. 13 seconds into the first sudden victory, Young got on top and was able to turn Deakin around for the takedown.

In the semifinals, Young will wrestle Tyler Berger from Nebraska. Berget took the SV1 decision, 3-1, in the 2019 dual.

165 –Mekhi Lewis (Virginia Tech) defeats Alex Marinelli, 3-1

Tied at 1-1 in the third, Lewis was able to get Marinelli’s leg up and turn him late for the takedown. Earlier in the match Marinelli had the same attack but was unable to capitalize for points.

Marinelli will fight for an All-American honor against Logan Massa from Michigan. Marinelli is 3-0 in his career against Massa, beating him twice in the 2018 Big Ten Championships.

285 –Jordan Wood (LeHigh) defeated Sam Stoll, 2-0.

Wood scored an escape in the second period and kept Stoll under him for the entirety of the third period to score a final riding time point.

Stoll will face Youssif Hemida of Maryland, who he is 3-1 against all-time.

Consolation Round 2

184 – Cash Wilcke defeats Mason Reinhardt (Wisconsin), Major Decision 8-0

Wilcke scored two takedowns, a reversal, and riding time for the major decision. Reinhardt got into stalling trouble and handed Wilcke a penalty point that passed the bonus point line.

197 – Jacob Warner defeats Josh Roetman (Navy), Major Decision 9-1

Warner took his first match of the match of the morning by tallying a takedown, a reversal, and a four-point near fall for the win. His control of the match gave him riding time at the end to erase an escape in the third period that would have taken away bonus points.

Consolation Round 3

184 – Emery Parker (Illinois) defeats Cash Wilcke, FALL 5:23

Wilcke was down 5-1 in the third period when Parker turned him on his back, ending his run in the tournament.

197 – Jacob Warner defeats Tanner Orndoff (Utah Valley), 10-6

Warner took control of the match and scored two takedowns, a reversal, a two-point near fall, and an escape plus riding time to hold the lead for the entire match.

Next, Warner will face Tom Sleigh from Virginia Tech.

Team standings

Losing five-of-eight in the quarters hurt Iowa in the team standings. The Hawkeyes are in fourth place with 43.5 points, behind Oklahoma State (56.0), Ohio State (66.5), and Penn State (80.0).

Bonus points in the upcoming matches will be important for Iowa to both keep its standing and regain ground on those above it.