Fire causes estimated $20,000 in damage to Iowa City residence

No civilians or fire personnel were injured in the blaze.

Firefighters respond to a report of a fire at a residence on Davenport Street in Iowa City on Tuesday, March 19, 2019.

Nick Rohlman

Nick Rohlman

Nick Rohlman

Marissa Payne, Managing Editor

The Iowa City Fire Department responded to a second-story structure fire at a two-story residence on East Davenport Street Tuesday night.

Sixteen fire personnel responded to a report of a fire at 954 E. Davenport St. at 7:14 p.m. Tuesday. Neighbors reported seeing smoke coming from the second floor of the residence, according to a city of Iowa City news release.

The first fire unit to respond reported heavy smoke and flames from the second floor after arriving on the scene. Fire personnel brought the blaze under control within 20 minutes, according to the release.

Iowa City Fire Battalion Chief Zach Hickman said no occupants were located inside the home after the fire settled. After searching the house, one cat and one baby chicken were safely removed from the residence, the release noted. 

The fire department estimates damage on all three floors of the residence to cost $20,000, according to the release. No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported.

The cause of the blaze remains under investigation. 

The Iowa City police, Johnson County Ambulance Service, Johnson County Joint Emergency Communications Center, and Mid-American Energy provided assistance in responding to the fire.