Numbers behind Iowa’s first Big Ten Tournament win over Illinois

The Hawkeyes seemed to do everything right against the Illini, resulting in one of their most complete performances of the season.

Iowas+Joe+Wieskamp+guards+Illinois+DaMonte+Williams+during+the+Iowa%2FIllinois+Big+Ten+Tournament+mens+basketball+game+in+the+United+Center+in+Chicago+on+Thursday%2C+March+14%2C+2019.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Fighting+Illini%2C+83-62.+

Lily Smith

Iowa’s Joe Wieskamp guards Illinois’ Da’Monte Williams during the Iowa/Illinois Big Ten Tournament men’s basketball game in the United Center in Chicago on Thursday, March 14, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Fighting Illini, 83-62.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

CHICAGO – Iowa bounced back after four-straight losses with one of its most complete performances of the season in an 83-62 win over Illinois in the Hawkeyes’ first game of the Big Ten Tournament on Thursday.

Nicholas Baer led the way with 17 points as the Hawkeyes shot 52 percent from 3-point range, something they couldn’t do during the losing streak.

The victory sent Iowa to the quarterfinals where it will take on No. 3 seed Michigan on Friday with an estimated start time of 8:30 p.m.

Last time the two faced, the Hawkeyes downed the then-No. 5 Wolverines, 74-59, in Carver-Hawkeye on Feb. 1.

Before Round 2 commences, The Daily Iowan takes a look back at what made Iowa successful against the Illini.

52 – Iowa field-goal percentage

When the Hawkeyes found themselves with open shots, they took advantage.

That wasn’t the case during Iowa’s four-game skid, when it created open shots but couldn’t get them to fall.

Every Iowa player that took the court for more than two minutes shot 50 percent or better from the field, excluding Luka Garza and Jordan Bohannon, who went 3-of-7 and 2-of-6, respectively.

As a team, the Hawkeyes drained 12 3-pointers with Nicholas Baer leading the way, netting five of them.

Joe Wieskamp also finished with an impressive performance in the first Big Ten Tournament game of his career, dropping 13 points on 5-of-7 shooting.

Tyler Cook and Ryan Kriener rounded out the Hawkeyes who reached double figures, scoring 12 and 11, respectively.

15 – Illinois turnovers

Iowa set the tone early on the defensive end, forcing turnovers on three of Illinois’ first four possessions, including two shot clock violations.

While the Illini ended up having a solid night from the floor, shooting 52 percent, Iowa’s intensity on the defensive end halted an Illinois offense with one of the best guard tandems in the Big Ten.

The Hawkeyes held Trent Frazier and Ayo Dosunmu to 11 and 10 points respectively, while forcing them to turn the ball over a combined 5 times.

Andres Feliz, who was tagged with a technical foul in the game, also added 4 turns.

Iowa cashed in with 24 total point off Illinois turnovers.

00:14 – Illinois time in the lead

Although the Hawkeyes got off to a fast start with a 10-2 lead, Illinois started crawling its way back into the game, eventually taking a 13-10 lead shortly after.

Iowa then took the lead back but with 4:38 left in the first half, the Illini cut the Hawkeye lead to just 1. That’s as close as it would get.

Iowa went on a run and grew its lead to as many as 27 toward the end of the second half.

The win ended up being one of the Hawkeyes’ most complete victories of the season, never taking their foot off the gas once they built a lead.

If Iowa can continue to be proactive when it builds a lead and hit open shots, the Hawkeyes can cause problems for the Wolverines.