‘They Called Her Vivaldi’ to arrive at Hancher this weekend

At 2 p.m. March 10, Theater Lovett will perform its highly acclaimed show They Called Her Vivaldi to Hancher.

Contributed

Contributed

Contributed

Contributed

Contributed

Haley Triem, Arts Reporter

A mystical singing hat named “Capello,” a musical prodigy, and a noisy, strange city: It sounds like the makings of a wonder-filled children’s novel, the type that is hard to buy into as an adult. But Theater Lovett has made this mystical plot into a reality and invites tired college students to sit back, relax, and explore childhood wonder in the midst of midterms season.

At 2 p.m. March 10, Theater Lovett will bring its highly acclaimed show They Called Her Vivaldi to Hancher.

RELATED: Hancher unveils 2018-19 lineup, including Broadway’s Les Misérable

“We can’t wait to meet new audiences in Iowa,” Muireann Ahern said in an email to The Daily Iowan.

Ahern is the theater’s joint artistic director along with Louis Lovett, who acts in They Called Her Vivaldi himself. Together, they create the mystical elements that the group is famous for. The performance is difficult to describe, because it is a mash of all of the best things the company has to offer.

“It’s just a good story, well told with two of Ireland’s finest actors working their socks off to make it a good experience,” Ahern said. “What should people expect? The unexpected. They should be surprised, amazed, filled with wonder. We always like our audience to get a little of what they don’t expect.”

With the unexpected comes the ability to see things in a new way. the troupe uses performance to inspire people to question their perspectives and look at life through different lenses.

“We always hope that our shows will open something new for our audiences, to make the look at the world in a fresh way perhaps,” Ahern said. “We don’t like to provide answers; can anyone [provide answers really]? We like to open questions that can continue to resonate long after we all leave the theater.”

With They Called Her Vivaldi, people of all generations can enjoy an experience collectively. It’s a show for all ages.

“We like to play for our audience, young and old, all together in the one room at the same time,” Ahern said. “We don’t like to separate, isolate, or segregate. We like everyone, the 7-year-olds and the 70-year-olds, to be in there together and all have the same experience. Maybe different things will resonate and land [with different generations]. We work hard to make theater for all ages.”

In a season of cold weather and midterms, there are plenty of excuses for why not to go. However, Ahern has a counter to this.

“Here are some excessively good reasons why we thing you should come to see They Called her Vivaldi” Ahern said. “Reason 1: why not? 2, your friend may get to see it, love it, rave about it, wave the fact that they’ve seen it and you haven’t in your face; 3, apparently it’s good; 4, it’s truly uplifting; 5, do you like canals? Cobblestones? If you’re impressed by hat wizardry, then go see it. 6, the set design is pretty good; 7, you’re treated to a compendium of sound, lights, set, story, and performance that goes together like fingers in a yummy pie; 8, [go see it] if you like invisible sword fights; 9, if you and [anybody else] want to laugh your socks off at the same thing at the same time and at the same place; and 10, to see if a brave young woman (they call her Vivaldi) can muster up all that it takes to help some people who are ever so dear to her.”

Haley Triem, Arts Reporter

Haley Triem is an arts reporter and cartoonist with The Daily Iowan. She is a sophomore at the University of Iowa and is studying English, creative writing,...

• ‘They Called Her Vivaldi’ to arrive at Hancher this weekend

Arts

Fur of the moment: The Furry community in Iowa City

Arts

In a dialogue with art, UI graduate student gives her perspective on woodworking

Arts

UI alum to read from first novel, “Lucy, go see”

Arts

Wild Prairie Winds breezes through unique music

Arts

Undergraduate filmmakers to present thesis films to the public

Arts

Hancher announces 2019-20 season lineup, including 3 broadway shows

Arts

Tallest Man on Earth blows the roof off Englert

Arts

Photos: The Tallest Man On Earth (5/2/2019)

Arts

Finding therapy in a few lines

Arts

Hip-Hop from the Heartland