Tausaga earns Midwest Regional Female Field Athlete of the Year

Iowa’s Laulauga Tausaga has been on a roll this season, and she was recognized for it.

Laulaga+Tausaga+shoulders+the+shotput+during+the+Larry+Wieczorek+Invitational+meet+in+Iowa+City%2C+Iowa%3B+Saturday+January+20%2C+2018.+Laulaga+finished+fifth+overall+in+the+meet.+

Paxton Corey

Laulaga Tausaga shoulders the shotput during the Larry Wieczorek Invitational meet in Iowa City, Iowa; Saturday January 20, 2018. Laulaga finished fifth overall in the meet.

Robert Read, Sports Reporter

Iowa junior Laulauga Tausaga has been named the Midwest Regional Female Field Athlete of the Year by the United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association. Tausaga is the second female in school history to earn a regional track and field honor.

Tausaga received the honor after finishing the regular season ranked third nationally in both the shot put (17.79 meters) and the weight throw (23.26). Tausaga set personal-best marks in both events during the indoor season, and at the Big Ten Indoor Championships, she shattered her school record in the shot put by 1.09 meters.

Tausaga was also named National Athlete of the Week by the USTFCCCA earlier this year after breaking the school record in the weight throw.

Tausaga closes out the indoor season March 8-9, competing at the NCAA Indoor Championships in both the shot put and the weight throw.