Bernie Sanders to make Iowa City stop March 8

Democratic presidential-nomination candidate Bernie Sanders will make his first trip to Iowa this week after announcing his 2020 presidential campaign.

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vermont, speaks during the annual Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement Action Fund in Des Moines, Iowa, on Saturday, July 15, 2017. Sanders spoke as the keynote speaker for the event. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Sarah Watson, Politics Editor

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., will hold a rally in the IMU on March 8 as he embarks on a second run for the Democratic presidential nomination.

This is Sanders’ first trip to Iowa since announcing his 2020 campaign on Feb. 19. He’ll hold rallies in Council Bluffs on March 7, in Iowa City on Marcg 8, and in Des Moines on March 9. He joins a wide field of contenders for the Democratic nomination. Keep up with The Daily Iowan’s candidate tracker for more candidate trips to Johnson and Linn Counties.

In his last visit to Iowa City, Sanders spoke at Hancher to promote his book in the fall of 2017. In 2016, Sanders hosted an event at the University of Iowa Field House in which the band Vampire Weekend played.

Council Bluffs Rally

March 7 at 6:30-8:30 p.m. Doors open at 5:30 p.m.

Mid-America Center
1 Arena Way, Council Bluffs
The rally is free and open to the public, though online RSVPs are encouraged.

Iowa City Rally

March 8 at 6:30-8:30 p.m. Doors open at 5:30 p.m.

IMU
The rally, cosponsored by University Democrats and Young Democratic Socialists, is free and open to the public, though online RSVPs are encouraged.

Des Moines Rally
March 9 at 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Doors open at 9:30 a.m.

Paul R. Knapp Animal Learning Center
E. 33rd St., Des Moines