Iowa women take third, men finish fourth at Big Ten Indoor Championships

The Hawkeyes swept the 60-meter hurdles and 1,600-meter relays in an eventful conference meet.

Iowas+MarYea+Harris+crosses+the+finish+line+during+the+4x400+meter+relay+during+the+Larry+Wieczorek+Invitational+on+Saturday%2C+Jan.+20%2C+2017.+Harris+anchored+the+Hawkeyes+relay+team+to+a+victory+with+a+45.599+split.+

Nick Rohlman

Iowa’s Mar’Yea Harris crosses the finish line during the 4×400 meter relay during the Larry Wieczorek Invitational on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2017. Harris anchored the Hawkeyes relay team to a victory with a 45.599 split.

Robert Read, Sports Reporter

The Big Ten Indoor Championships have concluded and both Iowa track squads secured top-five finishes in the conference. The women’s team finished in third place with 80 points earned, and the men tied for fourth with Purdue, putting up 70.

The Ohio State women and the Nebraska men finished competition as Big Ten Indoor champions, earning 112 and 93 points, respectively.

Highlighting the meet for Iowa were the individuals who became Big Ten Champions.

On the first day of competition, Tria Simmons came out strong and took home gold in the pentathlon, scoring 4,135 points. Fellow Hawkeye Jenny Kimbro finished right behind Simmons, putting up 4,030 points for a second-place finish.

The pair have been pushing each other all season, and that did not change at the conference championships.

“Jenny and Tria did what we expect from them,” Iowa Director of Track and Field Joey Woody said in a release. “They got the weekend started for us. Those two feed off each other. Without one of them, I’m not sure the other would have been as productive as they were today.”

Kimbro was just getting started, however, as she and Jaylan McConico combined to sweep the 60-meter hurdles for Iowa. Kimbro ran 8.29 in the event to earn gold on the women’s side, and McConico ran 7.79 to lead the way for the men.

The 60-meter hurdles was not the only event that Iowa swept, as both the men’s and women’s 1,600-meter relay teams were victorious to close out the meet.

The men’s 1,600-meter relay team, consisting of Collin Hofacker, Antonio Woodard, Chris Thompson, and Mar’Yea Harris, brought home the gold for Iowa. The Hawkeyes were in third place through three legs of the race, but Harris, running anchor, propelled Iowa to the victory.

“With an athlete like Mar’Yea, you’ve got a shot, even if it’s close,” Woody said in a release. “He had a lot of fire in his belly. He was able to help us defend our outdoor relay title from last year.”

The men’s team set the table, and the women followed suit to add more points to their total.

The women’s relay, consisting of Kimbro, Simmons, Weum, and Briana Guillory, won with a time of 3:37.58, tying the eighth-fastest time in school history.

“We were sitting in the back room [before the race],” Aly Weum said in a release. “We knew the men were out there, and we wanted to watch the race but knew the coaches would be mad. We would peek out every now and then. When the crowd got loud, we knew those were our Iowa Hawkeyes. We wanted to represent Iowa in the same way that they did, and we did it.”

Back-to-back victories to close out the conference championships was, to Woody, the perfect way to end an eventful weekend.

“What can you say when you sweep both the men’s and women’s 4×400 relays?” Woody said in a release. “It’s a testament to our program. We always expect to have a great relay competing for championships and to be able to come out and win both is exciting.”

Two Iowa school records also fell at Big Tens. Laulauga Tausaga broke her own mark in the shot put, throwing 17.69 meters and breaking the previous record by 1.09 meters. Karayme Bartley blazed past the 200-meter record, running 20.67 to best the previous mark (20.80) set by Justin Austin in 2011.

Both athletes finished second in their events.

The Hawkeyes will close out the indoor season March 8-9 in Birmingham, Alabama, at the NCAA Indoor Championships. The final NCAA qualifiers list will be posted on the NCAA website by Feb. 26.