Regents to discuss $8.5 million Hillcrest renovation request

The Board of Regents will discuss Hillcrest renovations that would begin in the summer of 2020 at their meeting next week.

A+Hillcrest+Residence+Hall+hallway+is+seen+on+Tuesday%2C+Oct.+3%2C+2017.+

A Hillcrest Residence Hall hallway is seen on Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2017.

Ashley Morris

Ashley Morris

Ashley Morris

Kayli Reese, News Editor

The University of Iowa has requested permission from the state Board of Regents to proceed with project planning for $8.5 million in renovations to Hillcrest Hall.

The regents will discuss the matter at their Feb. 27-28 meeting at Iowa State University.

The proposed project would replace floor, wall, and ceiling finishes in dorm rooms, specifically replacing doors, floors, closets, drywall, paint, and window treatments, according to regents’ documents. It also would go into renovating corridors, lounges, and elevator lobbies. Additional study spaces may also be added.

“This work would be consistent with the university’s goal to reinvest wisely in existing facilities in order to extend the useful lives of buildings and provide a high-quality student experience on campus,” the document said.

If the renovations are approved, the document said, construction would begin in the summer of 2020 and continue over the next four summers.

RELATED: UI Housing seeking to market residence halls to returning students

Funds for the renovations would come from University Housing Renewal and Improvement funds.

Hillcrest is 80 years old and is home to more than 820 students, making it the largest residence hall on the West Campus.

The last update to student living spaces in Hillcrest was a $3.3 million project in 2016 that replaced vanities and plumbing in the residence hall.