Bernie Sanders draws record $5.9 million in one day as he starts 2020 run

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vermont, speaks during the annual Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement Action Fund in Des Moines, Iowa, on Saturday, July 15, 2017. Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vermont, spoke as the keynote speaker for the event. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

By John Hughes

Bloomberg News

(TNS)

WASHINGTON — Sen. Bernie Sanders, the self-described democratic socialist, received $5.9 million from about 223,000 donors in the 24 hours after he announced his repeat bid for the U.S. presidency.

In total, the Vermont independent has raised $6 million, with small-dollar pledges mirroring the average donation of $27 from his 2016 run, according to his campaign. The fundraising rose from the $4 million the campaign said he amassed as of the evening of Feb. 19, the day he announced.

Sanders, 77, is seeking to become the Democratic Party’s nominee. His fundraising effort eclipsed that of Sen. Kamala Harris, whose initial $1.5 million from about 38,000 donors had been the biggest first-day money haul of the 2020 race so far. The California Democrat announced her bid for the Democratic nomination Jan. 21.

———

©2019 Bloomberg News

Visit Bloomberg News at www.bloomberg.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.