Tausaga wins MVP as Hawkeyes post impressive performances on the road

Iowa recorded three records and 15 personal bests at the first indoor meets of the season on the road.

Laulaga+Tausaga+shoulders+the+shotput+during+the+Larry+Wieczorek+Invitational+meet+in+Iowa+City%2C+Iowa%3B+Saturday+January+20%2C+2018.+Laulaga+finished+fifth+overall+in+the+meet.+

Paxton Corey

Laulaga Tausaga shoulders the shotput during the Larry Wieczorek Invitational meet in Iowa City, Iowa; Saturday January 20, 2018. Laulaga finished fifth overall in the meet.

Sydney Becker, Sports Reporter

In its first road meet of the season, the Hawkeye women’s track and field team traveled to the Sevigne Invitational, hosted by Nebraska, and the Meyo Invitational, hosted by Notre Dame.

After the first day, the Hawkeyes broke three records as well as numerous personal bests.

Tria Simmons (4,220 points) and Jenny Kimbro (4,123) each broke the school’s pentathlon record, which had been set in 2008 by Tammilee Kerr (3,974). Simmons took the gold, and Kimbro followed in second.

“It was an unbelievable day,” Iowa Director of Track and Field Joey Woody said in a release. “When you look at what we did in the multi-events to start the day, they got the energy going.”

Laulauga Tausaga broke the school’s weight-throw record for the third time since the start of the season. Beating her previous mark of 20.67 meters, she tossed a 23.26 in the second round.

“You see what Laulauga did at the end of the day, it was impressive all around,” Woody said in a release.

On the first day of the weekend, the Hawkeyes set numerous personal bests, keeping the energy at a high level.

Simmons improved her 60-meter hurdle time (8.55), moving up to the ninth all-time. She also bettered her shot-put throw (11.54) and moved up to fourth all-time in the high jump (1.78). Kimbro also improved her distance in the shot put (11.22) and her mark in the high jump (1.72) as well as bettering her time in the 800 (2:20.11) and her second-place all-time spot in the 60-meter hurdles (8.27).

Nia Britt bested her distance in the weight throw (18.20), as did Allison Wahrman (17.0) and Konstadina Spanoudakis (16.37). In the 600 meters, Taylor Arco (1:32.05), Aly Weum (1:32.81), and Lindsay Welker (1:37.22) set personal bests.

On the second day of competition, the Hawks set seven more personal bests.

In the 200, Antonise Christian (24.68), Addie Swanson (25.37), and Carly Donahue (25.49) bettered their times. Payton Wensel bested her mark in the 400 (56.03), and Grace McCabe (4:55.59) and Anna Hostetler (5:00.28) hit new times in the mile.

Tausaga placed first in the shot put (16.25), and Britt placed second (16.16). At the end of the meet, Tausaga was named most valuable performer.

“Altogether, it was amazing to win the award, and I hope to take this week’s wins and transfer them to next week’s meet in Arkansas,” Tausaga said in a release.

The Hawkeyes will continue on the road as they head to Fayetteville for the Tyson Invitational and Ames for the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 8-9.