Anthony Nelson to forgo senior season, enter NFL Draft

A key on Iowa's deep defensive line, Anthony Nelson is headed to the NFL.

Iowa+defensive+end+Anthony+Nelson+attempts+to+bring+down+Nebraska+running+back+Maurice+Washington+during+the+Iowa%2FNebraska+football+game+at+Kinnick+Stadium+on+Friday%2C+November+23%2C+2018.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Huskers%2C+31-28%2C+with+a+last+second+field+goal.+

Iowa defensive end Anthony Nelson attempts to bring down Nebraska running back Maurice Washington during the Iowa/Nebraska football game at Kinnick Stadium on Friday, November 23, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Huskers, 31-28, with a last second field goal.

Lily Smith

Lily Smith

Lily Smith

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa defensive end Anthony Nelson became the third Hawkeye to declare for the 2019 NFL Draft when he announced his intentions to forgo his senior season on Monday.

“These past 4 years competing alongside my teammates for the state of Iowa in front of the best fans in the country will be something I will never forget,” Nelson tweeted. “After a great deal of consideration and discussion with my family, I have decided to declare for the 2019 NFL Draft.”

Nelson tied for second in the Big Ten with 9.5 sacks, only trailing teammate A.J. Epenesa, who racked up 10.5. He finished second on the team with 13.5 total tackles for loss and eighth with 45 total stops and scored a touchdown on a fumble recovery against Maryland.

Nelson burst onto the scene in 2016 when he took the quarterback down behind the line 6 times and upped that mark to a Big Ten-best 7.5 in 2017.

The Waukee, Iowa, native was named second-team All-Big Ten by the conference media and coaches.

Nelson played a key role on a defensive line that served as the biggest strength of a stellar Hawkeye defense that finished seventh nationally in total defense (293.6 yards per game) and 12th in scoring defense (17.8 points per game).

“As a kid, I always dreamed of one day being a Hawkeye and to be able to live out this dream has been one of the best experiences of my life,” Nelson tweeted. “I am excited to now have the opportunity to pursue another of my dreams and cannot wait to see what the future holds.”

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Twitter: @PeteyRuden

Pete Ruden is the Sports Editor at the DI, where he has worked since the beginning of his college...

• Anthony Nelson to forgo senior season, enter NFL Draft

Three tickets will run in this year’s UISG election

Iowa at NCAAs

Iowa women advance to Sweet 16 with win over Missouri

Iowa at NCAAs

Iowa’s comeback bid against Tennessee falls short

Iowa at NCAAs

Photos: Iowa women’s basketball NCAA tournament first round vs. Mercer (3/22/19)

Iowa at NCAAs

Hawkeyes reminisce on March Madness memories

Iowa at Big Tens

Hawkeyes prepping for Cincinnati in return to NCAA Tournament

Iowa at NCAAs

Iowa draws 10 seed, faces 7-seed Cincinnati in NCAA Tournament

Iowa at Big Tens

Hensley: Iowa needs more Jordan Bohannon going forward

Iowa at Big Tens

Iowa goes cold from 3 in loss to Michigan

Iowa at Big Tens

Photos: Iowa Big Ten Tournament men’s basketball vs. Michigan (3/15/19)