Hawkeye women top Huskers for first conference win

Iowa found its way into the Big Ten win column with an impressive performance down low.

Iowa forward Hannah Stewart #21 rebounds a ball late in the fourth quarter in a women's basketball game against the Nebraska Huskers at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Thursaday January 3, 2018. The Hawkeyes beat the Huskers, 77-71. (Roman Slabach/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Mills, Sports Reporter

In its first game of 2019, Iowa women’s basketball grabbed its first win in Big Ten play with a 77-71 victory over Nebraska Thursday at Carver-Hawkeye.

Forward Megan Gustafson posted yet another double-double with 26 points and 17 rebounds, highs for both teams in each category. Gustafson also swatted back 5 Husker shots.

Joining Gustafson in double-digit scoring were Kathleen Doyle, Hannah Stewart, and Tania Davis.

Still, it wasn’t easy for the Hawkeyes. The Huskers were led by Leigha Brown, who put up 20 points on the night. Nebraska shot 43 percent from beyond the arc, with 27 of its total points coming from 3-point range.

Iowa remained dominant in the paint, though, outscoring Nebraska 42-24. Iowa won the night in rebounding, grabbing 41 boards – 5 more than Nebraska.

Along with this, Iowa shared the ball fairly effectively. The team put up 21 assists, led by 9 from Doyle. Turnover were a problem, however, as the Hawkeyes racked up 17.

After a rough conference-opener against Michigan State, the win was a welcomed sight for Iowa women’s basketball.

Next, Iowa takes on Wisconsin on Jan. 7 in Carver-Hawkeye in the third conference matchup of the season.

• Hawkeye women top Huskers for first conference win

Baseball

Iowa baseball throttles Nebraska, clinches series

Baseball

Iowa baseball takes Game 1 over Nebraska in walk-off fashion

UI takes step to partner with firm to maintain utility system

Regents approve new policy regarding freedom of expression

Faculty Forward cuts into regents’ meeting to protest, call for sick-leave bank

Second measles case in Iowa confirmed

Softball edged by Drake despite solid pitching

Three Iowa track athletes set personal bests in Bryan Clay Invitational

The legacy of UI alum George Stout, the father of art conservation

Getting to know Iowa rowing’s coxswains