Megan Gustafson breaks Hawkeye scoring record

Megan Gustafson added to her already-illustrious career, becoming Iowa basketball’s all-time leading scorer.

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

Iowa center Megan Gustafson celebrates after drawing a foul while making a basket during an Iowa/Purdue women’s basketball game in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018. The Boilermakers defeated the Hawkeyes, 76-70. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa forward Megan Gustafson was bound to break the Hawkeye basketball program’s scoring record and on Sunday, she did just that.

No Hawkeye – man or women – has scored as many points as Gustafson for the Black and Gold. Gustafson dropped 30 points in Iowa’s 84-70 loss to Michigan State to bring her career total to 2,124, breaking the mark of 2,102 points set by Ally Disterhoft in 2017 and Roy Marble’s men’s record of 2,116.

“It’s meaningful,” Gustafson said in a release. “Ally Disterhoft is one of my really good friends. I played two years with her. I miss her a lot. I just saw a text from her saying congratulations. It does mean a lot coming from her.”

The Hawkeyes continued to move the ball throughout the game, racking up 19 assists, allowing Gustafson to top Marble’s mark after passing Disterhoft in the first quarter.

“I guess I didn’t know I was close to the men’s record, too,” Gustafson said in a release. “My teammates do a good job of setting me up. At the end of the day, I have to thank my teammates.”

In addition to her 30 points on 11-of-19 shooting, Gustafson grabbed 14 rebounds, adding to her Hawkeye rebounding record.

Gustafson became Iowa’s all-time leading rebounder in the Hawkeyes’ 73-70 win over Iowa State Dec. 5, topping Cindy Haugejorde’s previous record of 1,067 that was worked on from 1977-80.

“Rebounding has always been a big part of what I do, and that is a record that means a lot to me,’’ Gustafson said after setting the rebounding record. “There are a lot of those things as a senior that are going to be part of my season, but mostly my focus is on the team and winning games. That is really the only thing that matters to me.’’

An All-American and last season’s Big Ten Player of the Year, Gustafson brought her season averages to 26.8 points per game to go along with 12.6 rebounds and 1.5 blocks.

Gustafson isn’t done yet, though. She and the Hawkeyes still have 17 conference games remaining before the Big Ten Tournament is set to commence.