Hawkeye men tame Tigers with 3-point shooting

Iowa’s best 3-point performance of the season led it to a huge win over Savannah State.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa’s game against Savannah State on Saturday was essentially over right when it started.

The Hawkeyes used 3-point shooting to take a commanding lead early and they would never look back, coming out with a 110-64 win at Carver-Hawkeye, despite playing without Luka Garza and Connor McCaffery.

Iowa jumped out to a 29-8 lead just over six minutes in, thanks to a 5-of-7 mark from deep to open the game. Its biggest lead of the first was 37 points, when the Hawkeyes were up 55-18 with 3:36 remaining.

Iowa finished the day with a program-record 19 3s, topping the 18 the Hawkeyes made against Savannah State once again in 2016.

Joe Wieskamp and Jordan Bohannon played a key role in the 3-point barrage, each setting season-highs in points. Bohannon made a season-best 6 of his 14 attempts from behind the arc to post 18 points, while Wieskamp hit 8 of his 10 shots to finish with 24, including 5 shots from deep.

Isaiah Moss hit 2 3s en route to a 15-point, 6-assist outing, while Tyler Cook and Riley Till did work inside to finish in double figures with 16 and 10, respectively.

All 11 players who found their way onto the court scored for Iowa, while 7 of them made shots from downtown. Austin Ash hit 3 triples, while Maishe Dailey, Michael Baer, and Nicolas Hobbs all drained 1.

The Hawkeyes also took care of the ball in the slaughtering, only turning it over 6 times. On the other end of the floor, they forced the Tigers to commit 16 miscues – just one game after making Western Carolina turn the ball over 26 times.

Iowa finished the game hitting 56 percent of its shots, including 45 percent from 3-point range. It was a solid defensive day for the Hawkeyes, as they held Savannah State to 37 percent from the field and 27 percent from 3.

Iowa will take the floor at Carver-Hawkeye again on Dec. 29, when Bryant makes a trip to Iowa City.