Iowa basketball’s Cordell Pemsl undergoes season-ending surgery

The Hawkeye forward will not play the rest of this season after undergoing a season-ending procedure.

Megan Nagorzanski

Iowa forward Cordell Pemsl looks to pass during Iowa’s game against Iowa State at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on December 6, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cyclones 98-84.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

After playing two games this season, Iowa basketball’s Cordell Pemsl had season-ending surgery Tuesday.

Pemsl, a Dubuque native, had surgery to remove hardware from a prior procedure in his leg.

“I tried to give playing this season another shot in the Iowa State game, but after a week of rest and recovery, the chronic irritation caused by the hardware has remained resulting in my inability to play in Saturday’s game versus [Northern Iowa],” Pemsl said in a release. “After further discussions with the medical staff, we determined that the best course of action is to correct the problem at this time.”

Against Iowa State, Pemsl put up 8 points, 6 rebounds (2 offensive) and dished out an assist.

Last season, he averaged 5.7 points, 4.5 rebounds, and shot 67.1 percent from the floor.

The rest of the Hawkeyes will take on Western Carolina at 8 p.m. on Tuesday.