Iowa women’s hoops crushes Northern Iowa for second in-state win

Megan Gustafson posted another double-double as the Hawkeyes dominated the Panthers, 83-57.

Roman Slabach

Iowa forward Megan Gustafson drives the ball in a women’s basketball game against the University of Northern Iowa at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Sunday, Dec. 16, 2018. The Hawkeyes beat the Panthers, 83-57.

Pete Mills, Sports Reporter

Iowa women’s basketball dominated in-state rival Northern Iowa Sunday afternoon at Carver-Hawkeye, cruising to an 83-57 win.

Having beaten both Iowa State and now Northern Iowa this season, only Drake remains, as Iowa seeks to own the state’s Division-1 teams.

Center Megan Gustafson put up yet another double-double, scoring 28 points and grabbing 12 boards. She was 11-for-14 from the field in the contest, helping her team to a 53 percent clip on field goals.

The Hawkeyes struggled to get the 3-point game going in recent matchups, but concerns were alleviated against the Panthers. The team shot 50 percent from the beyond the arc on the backs of guards Tania Davis and Kathleen Doyle.

Four Hawkeye players – Gustafson, Davis, Doyle, and Hannah Stewart – found themselves in double figures on the afternoon.

The Hawkeyes were much cleaner on offense as well. The team only committed 8 turnovers in the game, improving on early-season numbers. They also gave the Panthers a hard time on the defensive end of the floor, forcing 13 turnovers. This plus-5 turnover margin is one of the team’s highest of the season.

Sharing the ball was no problem for head coach Lisa Bluder’s team, as the Hawkeyes racked up a total of 20 assists.

Next, Iowa will face Drake on Dec. 21 in the team’s final game before Big Ten play commences.