Fran McCaffery responds to Dolphin comments

Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery spoke to the media for the first time since Gary Dolphin made comments on air slighting Hawkeye basketball.

Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery looks on during Iowa's game against Alabama State at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City on Wednesday, November 21, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Hornets 105-78

Nick Rohlman

Nick Rohlman

Nick Rohlman

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa men’s basketball head coach Fran McCaffery spoke to the media for the first time Thursday about the comments made by Hawkeye basketball play-by-play announcer Gary Dolphin during Iowa’s game against Pittsburgh on Tuesday.

Dolphin, who made comments slighting Iowa’s Maishe Dailey and recruiting, has since been suspended for two games by Learfield.

“I was disappointed in those comments,” McCaffery said. “I think when one of our own attacks one of our players the way he did, it’s inexcusable. And it’s over. We dealt with it, and we’re moving on.”

McCaffery said he thinks it’s “fairly well known” he and Dolphin have had issues in the past. The ninth-year Hawkeye coach also said he talked to the team and Dailey specifically about the comments.

“It was incredibly unfair; [Dailey] has played extremely well for us,” McCaffery said. “He plays hard. He’s a good person. He didn’t deserve it. But he’s also a young guy with tremendous character. So I’ve been really impressed with him and how he’s handled everything.”

Iowa will be back in action Friday when it takes on Wisconsin in Carver-Hawkeye at 7 p.m.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Pete Ruden is the Sports Editor at the DI, where he has worked since the beginning of his college career. He has covered a variety of sports at the DI,...

• Fran McCaffery responds to Dolphin comments

Hawkeyes display defensive dominance in win over Panthers

Tyler Cook and Company coast in Des Moines

Breaking News

4 UI fraternities lose registered student org status, 6 on probation

Football

Iowa football report card: Quarterbacks

Downtown

Freddy’s and Panera Bread comes to the Old Capitol Town Center, Office of Sustainability moves out

UI gamers hope to develop new varsity collegiate eSport at Iowa

Fifth Ward Saints North program faces risk of relocation after Roosevelt shutdown

2018 in Iowa politics

67-year-old woman to graduate the UI on Saturday

Small town to Kinnick: Former Hawkeye returns home to help coach eight-man football