No. 1 Notre Dame at center of Iowa women’s basketball’s attention

Iowa hopes to bring down the reigning national champions in the ACC/Big Ten challenge with Megan Gustafson and the sixth-ranked offense in the country.

Iowa+forward+Megan+Gustafson+%2810%29+fights+for+an+offensive+rebound+during+a+womens+basketball+game+against+Oral+Roberts+University+on+Friday%2C+Nov.+9%2C+2018.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Golden+Eagles+90-77.+

David Harmantas

Iowa forward Megan Gustafson (10) fights for an offensive rebound during a women’s basketball game against Oral Roberts University on Friday, Nov. 9, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Golden Eagles 90-77.

Pete Mills, Sports Reporter

The ACC/Big Ten Challenge kicks off this week in the women’s basketball world. Iowa faces a juggernaut, the reigning national champions and No. 1 ranked Notre Dame, in its matchup this evening in South Bend, Indiana.

The Hawkeyes will take on the dynasty of Irish head coach Muffet McGraw with limited numbers. Guard Kathleen Doyle continues her hiatus with a wrist injury, so Iowa will not be able to attack with the full force it had hoped for entering the season.

After a runner-up finish in the Junkaroo Jam last weekend after a 4-point loss to Florida State, Iowa’s mouth is watering at the thought of a win over a top-ranked team.

“We’re really excited,” senior center Megan Gustafson said. “I know each and every one of us has had this circled on our calendars for a long time.”

It will be no easy task, because Notre Dame is continuing where it left off last season. This is no surprise, given that four of the five starters from the team’s championship run returned this year.

And Notre Dame has two wins over competitive top-15 teams in DePaul and Oregon State.

Notre Dame guard Arike Ogunbowale has continued her domination from last season, averaging 24.5 points per game. She has helped lift the Irish to 88.8 points per contest, with only 66.7 put up by their opponents.

“Nothing like a challenge,” Iowa head coach Lisa Bluder said. “Obviously, this week is a big one for us, playing at No. 1 Notre Dame. We’re going into this game wanting to play our best and focusing on our game.” 

RELATED: Florida State hands Iowa first loss of season 

It is clear that anything is possible with Gustafson and Company.

The Hawkeyes will certainly give the Irish a hard time. Even without Doyle, Iowa is putting up 90.2 points per game, sixth in the country in scoring. This has come by way of clean shooting; Iowa sports a field-goal percentage of 56, behind only Baylor in the NCAA.

This is largely because of the work Gustafson put in. This week marks her third-straight as Big Ten Player of the Week; she leads the team with 23.2 points and 12.6 rebounds per contest.

The duo of Gustafson and forward Hannah Stewart have given teams headaches this season. Together, they have come up big with 31 assists, 13 blocks, and 9 steals through the first five contests. They have played smart, as well; when teams double-team Gustafson, Stewart has been able to capitalize.

Iowa has also shot well from beyond the arc. Behind Makenzie Meyer and Tania Davis, the team has averaged 40 percent in 3-pointers. This has been vital, because a team that can shoot that well and have stars in the paint such as Gustafson undoubtedly enjoys success.

In order to upset the top-ranked team in the country, a lot will have to go right for Iowa. There is somewhat of a chip on the shoulder of the Hawkeyes, because the program has not beaten a No. 1 team since 1987.

“It’s going to be fun,” senior guard Davis said. “They’re the No. 1 team in the country. We need to know our scouting report and stay disciplined to the game plan. We’re just going to go out there and play our hardest.”