Iowa defensive back Josh Turner announces intent to transfer

Reserve cornerback Josh Turner will not be returning to Iowa next season.

Katina Zentz

Northwestern wide receiver Riley Lees jumps over Iowa defensive back Josh Turner during the Iowa/Northwestern game at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, November 10, 2018. The Wildcats defeated the Hawkeyes 14-10. (Katina Zentz/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Hawkeye defensive back Josh Turner will not be returning to the Iowa program for the 2019 season, he tweeted Monday.

Turner played in all 12 games in 2018, racking up 5 tackles. Turner found himself on the depth chart early in the season, but was quickly surpassed by Julius Brents and Riley Moss, who went on to earn playing time in the absences of starters Michael Ojemudia and Matt Hankins.

“I would like to thank the coaches and staff at the University of Iowa for giving me the opportunity to be a part of Hawkeye nation. I will be forever grateful,” Turner tweeted. “I would also like to thank my [teammates] and all of the awesome fans for making this a great experience. I will forever cherish the friendships and memories I’ve made here. As of today I will be transferring from the University of Iowa for other opportunities.”

Turner would have been in a logjam in the secondary, with Ojemudia being a junior, Hankins a sophomore, and Brents and Moss true freshmen.