Iowa women’s hoops pummels NC Central

Mackenzie Meyer notched a career-high 8 assists, as the Hawkeyes beat North Carolina Central, 106-39.

Iowa+guard+Makenzie+Meyer+dribbles+past+the+defense+during+a+womens+basketball+game+between+Iowa+and+North+Carolina+Central+at+Carver-Hawkeye+Arena+on+Saturday%2C+Nov.+17%2C+2018.+The+Hawkeyes+devastated+the+visiting+Eagles%2C+106-39.+

Shivansh Ahuja

Iowa guard Makenzie Meyer dribbles past the defense during a women’s basketball game between Iowa and North Carolina Central at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018. The Hawkeyes devastated the visiting Eagles, 106-39.

Jordan Zuniga, Sports Reporter

The Iowa women’s basketball team wrapped up its final game before the Junkanoo Jam with a 106-39 victory over North Carolina Central.

For the third straight game, the Hawkeyes had four players in double figures and they eclipsed the 100-point mark for the second consecutive game.

Leading the charge for the Hawkeyes was Megan Gustafson, who registered her third double-double of the season and the 58th of her career with 20 points and 10 rebounds.

Makenzie Meyer also made some major contributions, as she poured in 16 points, shooting 4-of-6 from beyond the arc while also totaling a career-best 8 assists.

Also having a nice game for the Hawkeyes was forward Hannah Stewart who on an efficient 7-of-11 shooting night managed 15 points on top of 7 rebounds, and a career-high 6 assists with a steal and a block.

Off the bench, Monika Czinano had a stellar performance, putting up a career-high 15 points in 15 minutes, while also grabbing 7 boards.

While Meyer, Stewart, and Czinano all set personal bests, the team also set a new program record Saturday night with 36 assists.

It was an offensive explosion from Iowa and it got everybody involved. While four players were in double figures, 10 scored at least 5 points, with 42 coming off the bench.

Next, Iowa will head to the Bahamas for the Junkanoo Jam where it will play two games with the first one coming on Nov. 23 at 4:30 p.m.

The Hawkeyes will play West Virginia first. Then, depending on the outcome of the games, they will play either Eastern Kentucky or Florida State on Nov. 24.