Halftime reactions – Iowa vs. Illinois

Iowa’s defense is rolling, and the Hawkeye offense is matching its effort. The Hawkeyes lead the Illini, 35-0, at halftime.

Nick Rohlman

Iowa defensive lineman A.J. Epenesa returns a fumble for a touchdown during Iowa’s game against Illinois at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, IL, on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018.

Noah Fant has played 28 snaps.

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. – After a week of (deserved) criticism, head coach Kirk Ferentz has played tight end Noah Fant on all but four of Iowa’s offensive snaps in the first half.

Fant caught his first touchdown since Iowa’s 42-16 win over Indiana on Oct. 13. It came on a crossing route, with Hawkeyes T.J. Hockenson and Nick Easley running routes above Fant, leaving him wide open for 6 points.

He’s been targeted four times in the passing game, hauling in 3 receptions for 54 yards.

Meanwhile, with Fant on the field, Hockenson has been able to find immense separation in the passing game. He’s got 2 receptions for 48 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

Iowa’s offense has been clicking, and, although Illinois’ defense ranks toward the bottom of the Big Ten, it’s a positive sign for the Hawkeyes, who have 250 yards of offense through two quarters.

Adam Hensley

A.J. Epenesa’s dominant 3 minutes carries Hawkeye defense

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. – Iowa’s defense has consistently been the best part of the Hawkeye team, and that was no different in the first half against Illinois.

Collectively, Iowa dominated a potent Illinois rush offense that typically averages 262.8 yards per game on the ground. The Hawkeyes were able to limit the Illini running game to just 60 yards in the first half.

A lot of Iowa’s success came from not letting Illinois quarterback A. J. Bush out of the pocket as, after rushing for 187 yards and 3 touchdowns last week, he was limited to 12 yards rushing in the first half of this one.

Through the air, Illinois wasn’t too successful either, as Bush managed just 42 passing yards in the first half.

Being stingy on third down has been the key for the Hawkeyes defensively, as they have forced Illinois to go 1-for-10 on third downs up until now.

Individually, it was A. J. Epenesa’s half.

During a three-minute stretch at the beginning of the second quarter, A. J. Epenesa recorded a forced fumble, a fumble recovery for a touchdown, a blocked punt, and a sack.

For those new to football, that’s pretty good.

Jordan Zuniga

Twitter reactions