Grassley nominated Senate pro tem, making him third in line for U.S. presidency

U.S. Senate Republicans have unanimously nominated Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, Senate president pro tempore.

Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, stands on stage at the Second Annual Harvest Festival on Saturday, Oct. 13, 2018. He serves as the Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Thomas A. Stewart

Thomas A. Stewart

Thomas A. Stewart

Sarah Watson, Politics Editor

After the retirement of Sen. Orin Hatch, R-Utah,  Iowa’s senior senator, Chuck Grassley, a Republican, is set to assume a position that will put him third in line of succession for the presidency.

The position of Senate Pro Tempore is traditionally held by the longest-serving member of the Senate from the majority party. The position puts him third in the line of succession for the presidency, following the Vice President and the Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives. 

Grassley will be officially elected to the position by the full Senate on Jan. 3.

Grassley, 85, was elected to the Senate in 1980 after serving in the U.S. House of Representatives and the state Legislature in Iowa. 

Hatch will retire from the Senate, leaving his chairmanship of the Senate Finance Committee open. Grassley is currently a senior member of the committee and chaired it from 2001 to 2010, and is expected to soon announce whether or not he will leave his position as chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee for the Finance Committee.

Sarah Watson, Politics Editor

Twitter: @K_5mydearwatson

Sarah Watson is the current Politics Editor at the DI, coordinating breaking news and in-depth coverage of Iowa politics....

• Grassley nominated Senate pro tem, making him third in line for U.S. presidency

Women, politics, and change

Q&A: UI President Bruce Harreld talks state funding, student life

Methamphetamine: Iowa’s most resilient crop

Hearing over fetal-heartbeat law held in Polk County

Iowa shows fight in feisty win over Iowa State

Nothing but net for Isaiah Moss in Cy-Hawk victory

Intermedia grad student artwork inspired by life-changing pilgrimage

New ‘offices on wheels’ roll up to Iowa City

Key 1990 Iowa football moment reflects Matt Whitaker’s jump to the White House

UI student research found over 100 birds collided into 5 campus buildings in 10 weeks