Grassley nominated Senate pro tem, making him third in line for U.S. presidency

U.S. Senate Republicans have unanimously nominated Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, Senate president pro tempore.

Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, stands on stage at the Second Annual Harvest Festival on Saturday, Oct. 13, 2018. He serves as the Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Thomas A. Stewart

Thomas A. Stewart

Thomas A. Stewart

Sarah Watson, Politics Editor

After the retirement of Sen. Orin Hatch, R-Utah,  Iowa’s senior senator, Chuck Grassley, a Republican, is set to assume a position that will put him third in line of succession for the presidency.

The position of Senate Pro Tempore is traditionally held by the longest-serving member of the Senate from the majority party. The position puts him third in the line of succession for the presidency, following the Vice President and the Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives. 

Grassley will be officially elected to the position by the full Senate on Jan. 3.

Grassley, 85, was elected to the Senate in 1980 after serving in the U.S. House of Representatives and the state Legislature in Iowa. 

Hatch will retire from the Senate, leaving his chairmanship of the Senate Finance Committee open. Grassley is currently a senior member of the committee and chaired it from 2001 to 2010, and is expected to soon announce whether or not he will leave his position as chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee for the Finance Committee.

Sarah Watson, Politics Editor

Twitter: @K_5mydearwatson

Sarah Watson is the current Politics Editor at the DI, coordinating breaking news and...

• Grassley nominated Senate pro tem, making him third in line for U.S. presidency

UI takes step to partner with firm to maintain utility system

UI backtracks on paying Modern Piping, seeks documentation for work on Children’s Hospital

The legacy of UI alum George Stout, the father of art conservation

UI pays nearly $4 million to keep Modern Piping off pharmacy-building construction

2020 Iowa Caucuses

Race for young supporters is on ahead of 2020 presidential caucuses

Wilson named new University of Iowa associate VP for diversity, equity, and inclusion

How Midwest flooding became a political wedge

UISG honors first-generation college students at ‘I’m the First’ event

Dave Loebsack announces he will not seek re-election to Congress in 2020

Homestead for the Walkers, a home for Iowa City