Northwestern clinches the West, defeats Iowa, 14-10

Iowa’s defense could only do so much — Iowa’s offense failed to put more than 10 points on the board, and the Hawkeyes lost their fourth game of the season.

Lily Smith

Northwestern’s Isaiah Bowser is tackled by Iowa defense during the Iowa/Northwestern football game at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, November 10, 2018. The Wildcats defeated the Hawkeyes, 14-10. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

If you like offense, you probably didn’t enjoy Northwestern’s 14-10 win over Iowa on Nov. 10.

Both teams struggled to move the ball consistently, but in the end, the Wildcats made the plays when they needed to.

Isaiah Bowser ripped apart the Hawkeye defense, rushing for 161 yards and a touchdown and averaging 5.4 yards per carry.

Meanwhile, Iowa’s offense had 333 yards but couldn’t put up enough points to show for it. Nate Stanley finished 27-of-41, throwing for 269 yards and a touchdown.

The bright spot for Iowa was wide receiver Ihmir Smith-Marsette, who caught 4 passes for 90  yards and the lone Hawkeye touchdown. He also gained 100 yards in the kick-return game.

However, if there was any hope for Iowa to make the Big Ten championship, those dreams are officially out of question — Northwestern’s win clinched the Big Ten West.