Halftime reactions – Iowa vs. Northwestern

Iowa leads Northwestern, 3-0, at halftime. Pregame Editor Adam Hensley and Assistant Sports Editor Anna Kayser give their first-half takeaways.

Lily Smith

Northwestern’s Isaiah Bowser is tackled by Iowa defense during the Iowa/Northwestern football game at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, November 10, 2018. The Wildcats defeated the Hawkeyes, 14-10. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa’s defense looks much better than last week.

Well, Northwestern’s offense isn’t as potent as Purdue’s, but regardless, Iowa’s defense looks a lot sharper than it deep a week ago.

Iowa held Northwestern scoreless through two quarters, and that’s a bit better than the 21 points it gave up last week.

Wildcat quarterback Clayton Thorson has yet to get into any sort of rhythm; he’s 5-of-10 with 41 yards. He’s also been sacked twice – once by Amani Hooker and the other from Chauncey Golston.

Iowa’s had a hard time defending Isaiah Bowser, though, as he’s averaging more than 5 yards per carry. However, he’s the lone bright spot in an otherwise boring first half for the Wildcats.

Northwestern has just 75 yards of offense through two quarters. The Wildcats’ first two drives netted 58 yards. Since then, Northwestern has had drives of 5, 16, -2, and -7 yards, respectively – that’s great.

Adam Hensley

Hawkeye offense hasn’t established rhythm.

We get it, it’s cold outside, but Iowa’s offense has to a better job of heating up quicker in the second half.

After Iowa’s first drive of the game with fantastic field position where somehow, someway, the offense should have found a way to reach a first down marker, the future looked bleak.

Northwestern couldn’t come out with a follow-up score, but it sure looked like it at least tried.

The beginning of the Hawkeyes’ second drive didn’t look much better, but Stanley was able to finally throw for a first down and complete four-straight passes.

Last week, players spoke about playing with the mentality of being the aggressor in every game, but today – with the exception of Stanley going 2-for-3 on long passes to T.J. Hockenson and an unsuccessful 4th down conversion attempt – that isn’t the case.

I think it’s a little more aggressive to throw the ball downfield and make the big play on 3rd-and-20 instead of running it both times. But who knows, maybe that’s just me.

Anna Kayser

Twitter reactions